Is there a rule to follow when adding stones or rocks or slate to an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If this is for a Sw tank you want rock that has lots of surface area. There is less surface area on a smoth stone than on a pourus rock that`s filled with all kinds of pock marks. If you get what I mean.

Yes I see. Perhaps it's best to have a little of each. I'm planning a layout for a 50 gal. SW that I just ordered yesterday. Know of any great links to help with laying out a tank?

I'm also looking in to artificial coral reef pieces that I've seen on the internet. They're pricey but in a 50 gal. I'll probably only need one of the medium size.

I'm getting a solid oak stand made for the tank. The stand comes well sanded and then I'll apply two coats, maybe three on the top surface, of classic oak polyurathane. I refinished an oak mantel, c. 1885, I purchased at an auction for $30. What a steal. It looks beautiful now.

Indeed in a salt system, you want porous or open rock for bacterial growth, neither polished stone or slate is going to give you the proper surface for bacteria.

For proper filtration in a 50 gallon tank, you will need more like 50 pounds of rock - you might get by with less, if the rock is very porous.

Might I suggest reading through the stickies in the saltwater forum for some general information on setting up a SW tank?

I checked out the DIY section on rocks, etc. Sounds like fun cutting out styrofoam to form a seascape. Now, here's my question. Doesn't styrofoam float? It must need to be glued down in the tank and if so, how does one clean it periodically?

DIY rock is usually a concrete mix - not your usual mix - that you make your own and cure it in usually a kiddie pool or trash can to pretty much the same water you'd have in your tank.

You want at least one pound per gallon of tank volume, but the general recommendation is 1 1/2 - 2 pounds per gallon. You can use 75% of base rock (like the Marco rock linked above) and 25% of LR either purchased locally or online.

It depends on what you want in your tank. A reef tank requires more, a FOWLR needs less, but may need additional filtrations if you go below the recommended ranges.

When I make the switch from my 30gal. salt to a new 50gal. salt my plan is to use about 1/2 of the substrate from the old tank, switch the HOB filter to the new tank being careful not to lose any of the good stuff in the filter and reuse the 20 lbs. of established LR. I'll also be adding many new landscaping ornaments to the tank. Is it feasible to move my fish to the new tank right away, or do I need to cycle? I

As always, IT DEPENDS!

Are you adding a bunch of the Marco base rock? That rock is full of dead material that will cause a new cycle. Adding cured LR instead means go ahead and move everthing over.

Carefull with the substrate move. If you only have a 1" - 2" sand bed you should be ok. The lower layers of a sand bed can get pretty nasty and also cause a cycle when moved to a new tank.

IMO, sand is pretty cheap and I would dump the old sand...Maybe keep a cup or so to seed the new sand....

It causes more problems that the cost of the sand!!!!!!

True statement if you can buy dry aragonite sand, but if your only option is the bagged live stuff, I would rinse and reuse the old sand personally. Rinse well with old tank water, not with tap.

I just started a "Fishless Cycle" 5 days ago with shrimp and "Cycle". Can I keep adding base rock during the cycle? This is a brand new setup, 55 gal, 60lbs of live sand, 20lbs of live rock so far. Amonia is on the rise, ph is hovering between 8.0-8.2

Now would be the time to add more base rock. Rinse it well. Do not even worry about your PH as it will bounce all over the place at first.

Back
Top Bottom