Is there a rule to follow when adding stones or rocks or slate to an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, good thing...........I stopped by the lfs on the way home and bought about 30lbs of some pretty nice base rock and it's in the tank:). Checked my ammonia, it was 2.0. I'm not even going to check the Nitrites/Nitrates for a couple more days. Seems like a waste of a few tests if the Ammonia is still rising. I am using an API test kit.

Thanks for the info!

ph was still 8.0.
After the sun went down I walked past the tank and saw a bristleworm sticking out of a piece of live rock eating the dead shrimp I'm using for the cycle. It's been 15 years since I had a SW tank and I freaked out-searching the threads here, took that piece of live rock out of the tank for a while while searching for opinions and think I've come to the conclusion they are now considered okay for the tank??? I put the live rock back in and I guess I'll learn to live with it. I'd like to eventually start keeping some coral, is this still ok?

yeah, they are ok. there are a few types that are bad, but those are not the norm.
the general population of bristle worms act as a free "cleanup crew".
the more you feed, the more of them you will see.

Base rock is drive out formerly live rock. Marco rocks sells some, but it must be cycled as it usually contains a lot of dead material.

There are lots of places that sell it for a doalar or two a pound. Much cheaper than LR prices. Base rock will become live rock after being in a tank for a few months.

Back
Top Bottom