Is there such a thing as TOO much flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NyteGTI

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok I know blasting a 1200GPH PH directly at a softie or LPS would be too much. but I'm talking total flow not putting something directly in front of a PH.

current setup:
12G NC
24x3W cree LEDs (it's turned WAY down & was bought because I will be upgrading in a bit & keeping this tank as a pet project with the stock lighting)
MJ 900 pump (230 gph)
Koralia nano 240 gph
Hammer Coral, green frogspawn, various zoas, Acan, & mummy eye chalice.

as you can see right now I'm keeping mainly LPS & zoos but i'm starting with starter SPS & going from there. The initial setup was in oct, first coral went in Jan 15th, & first & only fish going in this weekend, been ghost feeding the tank twice a week & spot feeding brine or mysis to the acan & candy cane

now if I put a 425 in there am I going overboard? should I take the 230 out & just use the 425 & the MJ900? or should I just shut up & keep it the way it is?

for kicks my tank params as of 8am this morning:
ammo0, trites0, trates 0, calc 450, 10dkh, PH 8.0, temp 78.3, 1.026SG

theres no such thing as too much flow, but too much consistent flow/ direct flow is a big problem. none of the corals your keeping will need that much flow but when you get acropora and other pickier sps, youll need some flow.

a wave timer would be great, positioning is also important though. i would go for the 240 if you can fit it. i have heard that koralias arent for wave timers because they sometimes run backwards. if you dont have a bunch of equipment already, then you should probably invest in a controller, youll love it and you may save some money in the longrun.

I have 2 koralia 425's in my BC 29 and it's on a Smart wave set for alternating back and fourth every hour.

Back
Top Bottom