is there SUFFICIENT oxygen if the waterfall does NOT splash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_Boy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
can someone please clarify the waterfall/oxygen/splash concept.

i have 2 aquaclear mini's on my 10 gallon.

the water level is just below the spill-way, but there is NO splash.
ONLY ripples
&
ONLY crack where the waterfall enters the water.

can someone please confirm if there is sufficient oxygen.
thanks

IMO, just as long as your water surface is constantly moving, you should have significant amount of O2 for your fish. :D

yes.

my fish are NOT gasping at the surface. :)

and my water is constantly moving :)
i look at the water level..i can see it moving up and down (waves/vibrating)

the reason i ask is because..the splash was driving my NUTS !!!!! :lol:

You definitely don't need splash or bubble wands or anything like that to provide adequate oxygen. If there are plants that will do it, and if there is adequate filtration that will definitely oxygenate your water just fine. I have a canister filter on several tanks, with the spray bar submerged, so the intake and the return are under water -no air in the system whatsoever - and there is plenty of oxygen.

Sometimes we talk about lowering the water level to create a spash if you raise the temp in the tank very high to treat for parasites, since the high temps make O2 harder for the fish to get. Under normal conditions that's not necessary.

Long-winded today, aren't I? :oops:

I have a tank in my bedroom and can't sleep if it's splashing or even making the trickling sound... neither of my tanks has ever splashed and my fish are healthy and happy!

Back
Top Bottom