Is this a CAE??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Went to store today. I was supposd to get 4 Oto's which I was told are great algae eaters and are peaceful and friendly. I had the one in the 1st pic and was told it's a CAE ( it was also killing and eating my guppies eyes. I'm really ticked off. I made it clear I didn't want that fish. That I wantd Oto's only. What kind of ADImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408457068.363522.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408457204.609097.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I would take him back pronto. A chinese algae eater like you have has his stripe made of connecting dots whereas a otto cat has a solid stripe.

Ok so the guy on the right is Otto. Solid black stripe. Oh I will take that devil back. Thank you. Hopefully it didn't kill any other fish. I'm so ticked off.
Do you have other suggestions to help with algae? Since I've been adding plants it seems worse and the water has a yellow cloudy look to it.

Though I am not opposed to a biological control for algae, it's a good idea to figure out what the root cause is.
How long are the lights on? What lights are you using? What fertilizers are you adding? What kind of water change schedule do you use?

I use led lights, they are on about 8-10 hours, I use a liquid co2 for plant growth and health. I use this in the morning when I feed about 1/4 teaspoon. I do water changes weekly, this past time water was crystal clear for a day then started getting the yellow cloudiness to it. I'm new with plants, thought now would be time to add as I stableized other issues and set up another 29 gal for the guppies, small neons and 2 Molly's. The planted tank has black skirt. White skirt, glo tetras. And cat sucker fish which I was told would control algae. Note I am assuming the yellow cloudiness I see is start of algae. I don't know for sure.

The first thing you can do is cut back on the light period. 6-8 hours. If you don't already have one, a timer is a convenient way to regulate this. Depending on your schedule you could do a split photoperiod or siesta period. An example would be 3 hours in the morning, off for 3-4 hours, then back on for 3-4 hours. Some folks do this so that they can see their tank in the AM. I don't because I don't want to be late for work. Start with the photoperiod reduction first.
I have a heavily planted tank and at times I've battled 3 types of algae at the same time. No discolored water. An algae magnet takes care of the stuff on the tank walls.

Thank you. I have the flexability to do split lighting so I'll start that. Do you have any ideas as to why I'm getting a yellowish tint to the water?

Have you added driftwood to the tank? Tannins could be leaking from them often resulting in discoloration (more like tea colored than yellow). Additional water changes could help with this. Boiling DW helps reduce tannins. Products such as Purigen will reduce discoloration in the water.

i did add my first piece of drift wood, i ran it under scalding hot water for several minutes. I am beginning to feel the frustrataion all over again with the water color and the person who put that CAE in the bag along w/ another AE, which i now dont know if its a flying fox, simeese algae eater, or an otto as i was told it was... i really wish that if they dont label things properly they would at lease have someone who has some knowledge about fish before just bagging them up and sending us on our way... i have been trying all morning to catch the CAE to bring it back, and they are sooo darn fast i cant catch him, and fear stressing out all my other fish... its so hard to see through those plastic bags they use. i tried to look to make sure but couldnt see clearly enough...
*** Totally FRUSTRATED AND UPSET

I use 2 nets...1 small and 1 big. Use the small to chase that rascal into the big net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tannins can be visually unpleasant but not unhealthy for the inhabitants. You can remove the DW and boil it several times.
The two net approach is a good suggestion.

Also, how often did you say you are adding liquid fertilizer? Once or twice a week is more than enough--don't do it every day.

Thanks everyone. Well I got the little devil using 2 nets took most of the day trying on and off. Didn't want to upset my other fish. I'm still not sure what the guy in the bottom pic is. From pictures I see online it's either a SAE or flying fox, was sold to me as an Oto. I bought 3 thinking Oto & put 2 in each 29 gal tank. The CAE ripped apart the one in my tank, and I got 1 out of my daughters, the other in her tank is MIA. So I was worried he'd eat her guppies and put him in with my african albino frog and goldfish tank.
The driftwood was taken out and sat in boiling water for a while. Thank you for that tip.
Also to who asked, yes I was adding co2 daily for the plants and will now only do 1-2 x weekly. Thanks guys for all the great tips and help.
If you know about the AE in 2nd photo I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Btw I ended up getting a pleco to do the clean up work. I realize I will have to trade at some point but obviously ppl here know nothing about the clean up crew and who's nice or not. I'm not willing to deal with any more CAE. They are the devil in my book. I see many videos on YouTube ppl praising them saying they are good with guppies. I feel for the people who follow that opinion.

Also to who asked, yes I was adding co2 daily for the plants and will now only do 1-2 x weekly.

My mistake as I thought you said liquid fertilizer in your first post. Liquid carbon replacement (it is not CO2) is good to add every day--I wouldn't change that as it helps keep algae in check. Are you adding fertilizers for your plants, too?

Also to who asked, yes I was adding co2 daily for the plants and will now only do 1-2 x weekly.

U need to add co2 daily , are u dosing anything else? Micro /macros??

Sent from my 801EM using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My mistake as I thought you said liquid fertilizer in your first post. Liquid carbon replacement (it is not CO2) is good to add every day--I wouldn't change that as it helps keep algae in check. Are you adding fertilizers for your plants, too?

It is liquid my mistake. Here's what I use. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408548273.806487.jpg

U need to add micro and macro nutrients, since you're New to planted tanks I recommend u to get seachem comprehensive and Api leaf zone also the plant on pic #2 looks like a sword, they're heavy root feeder and they need root tabs. U should go to the planted section a check mebbids root tab thread they are great diy root tabs

Sent from my 801EM using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It looks good; not seeing much algae. I would guess your cloudy water was from the driftwood tannins leaching out (doesn't hurt anything, but some find it unsightly). Continue to use the CO2 Booster every day. You should be dosing some liquid fertilizer or using root tabs for your living plants, too. Are you fertilizing? If so, what and how much?

It is sword plant. Idk what you mean by the thing to put under it. Again bad info given I was told I don't need to do anything for plants. Common sense said I should add something. What kind of fertilizer. Please advise. And thank you both very much.

Back
Top Bottom