Is this a good sump design?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As many know, I am working on putting together my 90-gallon tank. I got the stand finished today with some help from my son (still recuperating from the ladder fall). I am trying to design my sump setup and something occurred to me that I wanted to run past the experts here on the forum.

My design is having the water from the tank running through walls of eggcrate with bioballs between them into the skimmer section then out to the pump. The tank is already drilled for the external pump, so thats a definate. I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this, tried it, and what their thoughts would be.

Here is a pic I made with MS Paint to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

EDIT: This diagram has been changed. New diagrams are on post #8.

Personally I don't like bioballs in my saltwater tanks. I have my skimmer in the first chamber then macro algae and then the pump. I do it that way because that is the way the lady I got my setup from said it works best.

You're not going to get the full benefit from the bioballs in that setup. They're suppose to be in a trickle formation.

I like some kind of filter sock at the inflow. Are all the red line eggcrate? You get a bubble trap in there.

Personally I don't like bioballs in my saltwater tanks. I have my skimmer in the first chamber then macro algae and then the pump. I do it that way because that is the way the lady I got my setup from said it works best.

I'm not a fan of them either, but thats just because I dont like the way they look. This is my first salt tank and I am exploring options and taking ideas at this point. What are you using as macro algae?

You're not going to get the full benefit from the bioballs in that setup. They're suppose to be in a trickle formation.

I like some kind of filter sock at the inflow. Are all the red line eggcrate? You get a bubble trap in there.

I was thinking about a sock too, but wasnt sure if it would interfere with the other filtering. All the red is supposed to be eggcrate and my theory was that it would keep all the water in the sump at the same level. That removes the guesswork from the level needed for the skimmer?

What if I replaced the bioballs with live rock rubble? better? Worse?
I thought trapping bubbles was good? Would the material not stop them?

Or am I totally off base here and this is a stupid idea? If so, tell me. I wont be offended, I just want to do this right. :confused:

Sure you could put some rocks in there. It takes out some nitrates, which is a plus. The sock will help decrease the amount of mulm that builds up on the rock over time. IMO socks are the best mechanical filter. Eggcrate wont be a good bubble trapper. Better to use glass or acrylic.

Redesign

I took everyones advice and have redrawn the sump. Comments are welcome.

I am now showing an input with live rock rubble and a filter sock, a sand bed with macroalgae, skimmer, bubble trap and return. This is the top and side views:

I have a couple of different macro chaetomorpha and feather Caulerpa.

Skimmer before Fuge. Reason being you want skimmer to get as much organics as possible before the algae picks up the rest. This is most efficient use of your resources IMO.

Make the last chamber a little bigger because that is where you'll get evaporation from the whole system. Maybe it's a lot bigger than what I'm seeing from your drawing.

Make the last chamber a little bigger because that is where you'll get evaporation from the whole system. Maybe it's a lot bigger than what I'm seeing from your drawing.

Yeah, the drawings are not to scale yet, just working on concept first, then into the details. I am estimating the last section will probably be 4-5 (maybe 6) inches long, 12 inches wide and about 10 inches high unless that idea is flawed like some of the others I had. :lol: I can change the fuge section to add or subtract as needed.

What size is your sump going to be?

The tank is 20 gallon size, 24x12x16 dimensions. It was already drilled for the outflow, so no options there with a submersible pump. It came with a pump that works (I tested it in the sink :ROFLMAO:. Wife was NOT impressed). I got a skimmer for Christmas (Reef Octopus NW-110-6520B), so that is the one I will be using (Supposed to be a top-notch skimmer).

According to the water marks on the unit, water depth for the skimmer needs to be 11-15 inches, so I have a vague idea of the size of the first baffle after the skimmer. I'm figuring at about 12 so I will have some room in case the pump quits.

Bubble trap before the return, not before the refugium.
15" sounds a bit deep for the octo. I would have the height closer to 10". check with the manufacturer on that, but I think 10" is about right.
I would have also went a bit larger on the skimmer. Manufacturers loosely rate their skimmers, and every system is different. I always suggest a skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume.

Bubble trap before the return, not before the refugium.
15" sounds a bit deep for the octo. I would have the height closer to 10". check with the manufacturer on that, but I think 10" is about right.
I would have also went a bit larger on the skimmer. Manufacturers loosely rate their skimmers, and every system is different. I always suggest a skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume.

Ok... Drawing #5 in the works... bubble trap AFTER fuge...

I thought 15" was too deep for the tank (it's 16 inches high and I know I want room in case the pump stops working. However the low water mark on the unit is at 11" measured from the bottom. Thats why I was looking at 12". The accompanying paperwork said NOTHING about this subject. I have sent an email to the company, but have not received an answer.

The skimmer was a Christmas gift from my wife to kick-start this project. If I had made the choice I probably would have chosen differently but it was a gift and not using this one, at least temporarily, would not be in my best interests. :angel:

So, I'm doing what I can with what I have. I can always upgrade. :D

Design #5

Here we go again.... With dimensions this time assuming 1/4" plexiglas baffles and 1" spacing between baffles in the bubble trap...

Back
Top Bottom