Is this a good tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I was wondering if this is a good tank? My friend gave me a male dragonscale betta for my birthday in a owl. I've been meaning to get a bigger tank ever sence I got him a couple months ago, but my mom still doesn't see why I need one, as he's "happy" now. So I've been looking for a small tank for him. I need a ram no deeper than 11 in. Deep but hopefully thinner, I've found this? It looks very nice. Does anyone have a better recommendation? Also what heater is the best and where can I get a good deal? I want to spend no more than 30 on the tank and 15 for the heater. I already have black cariabesea sand, the betta, and food

Attachments

• image-3883386846.jpg
    image-3883386846.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2096504407.jpg
    image-2096504407.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2220818504.jpg
    image-2220818504.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 89
I actually got this same tank for my friend or xmas hahaha. I had a similar nano, and the only differences you will see from brand to brand besides the price is the quality of the hardware that comes with it.

They sell small heaters for bettas at petsmart for $11.99 I believe; that's what I did for my friend. I think it heats up to 3 gallons, maybe 2.5. The smaller wattage you can find, the better, because you don't want to risk overheating it if the heater has a problem. I keep a heater for ~5 or 10 in my 2.5, but I keep it close to a window and want to avoid fluctuations.

Anyway, I think it's a good investment, honestly. It's better than a bowl!

Yeah thanks! I actually just went to petsmart to buy API test kit for my cycling 37 gallon. And I didn't see the 3 gallon, but I saw a 2 gallon em which was 8x7x10 I believe. And a heater for 15 which was recommended on that box for that tank. The tank is $20 do you know if the lights are ok for plants? I think I may get the 2 gallon due to space requirements.

I would get a five gallon tank. Bettas require tanks of five gallons or more to be truly happy.

Thanks. I know they "require" 5 gallons, and require by thrive and not live a tragic life. I do have him in a bowl, and have the best intentions to upgrade ASAP. I like that tank, and have been looking into it. The only problem is my parents are not really wanting me to get another tank as I just got a large ins. Hopefully they will see my reason, and if I do I will get that one. I already have black sand, so what heater do u suggust? An also, could I grow live plants in that tank with those lights?

Yeah thanks! I actually just went to petsmart to buy API test kit for my cycling 37 gallon. And I didn't see the 3 gallon, but I saw a 2 gallon em which was 8x7x10 I believe. And a heater for 15 which was recommended on that box for that tank. The tank is $20 do you know if the lights are ok for plants? I think I may get the 2 gallon due to space requirements.

I'm no expert on plants, but get some java fern. It's very hardy and isn't too demanding.

Thanks all! I am now planning on getting the tan from amazon, a small heater from wallmartn(what wattage?) and I already have 5 lbs of sand, a piece if dw and a pot and java fern and I'm good to go! Total cost hopefully under 40!

You can get this tank and do a shrimp tank. You can have 30 shrimp in a 3 gallon tank. Red cherry shrimp are very popular. Personally, my favorite are amano shrimp.

Yeah, id love that!but I already have a betta! If I gamer a 5 how many shrimp and snails can j have with it?

The rule is 10 shrimp per gallon so in a 5 gallon it'd be 50 shrimp. But shrimp and a betta together is a hit or miss. I have a betta in a 20 gallon with some harlequin rasboras and he's perhaps the most peaceful betta ever. He was there first and completely accepted the new shrimp, although he didn't seem very happy about them there lol. But I've also heard stories of bettas completely tearing shrimp apart.

Red cherry shrimp and amano shrimp are good beginner shrimp. I like amano shrimp better. RCS are the most popular beginner shrimp though. The snail would work too. You could probably get a couple. Remember that if you have RCS they will breed, but that'd be good live food for the betta.

Thanks you! So how bout 4 rcs, 1 male betta, 1 zebra nerite? And for live plant I'd have some java fern!

As far as the heater goes I would get the size designed for 5 to 10 gallons. I have the smaller one in a 2.5 and it will only keep it at 72 degrees. My house is typically 60-65 degrees right now. I have the larger one in my 5.5g and its at 74.

Some bettas will eat the shrimp in a hurry and some won't. Its gonna depend on the fish. I would get the betta first and watch him to see what his temperament is.I have 2 bettas that are fine with their cory and oto tank mates and another one that wont even tolerate a snail.

Edit. Just saw that you already have a betta. Does he flair much? Is he all over the place in his tank?

He is fairly mellow. He is active, but I wouldn't say aggressive. The only time I've seen him flare is when he ran finally went awall at the gravel and flared his fins and went heat first into the gravel...wierd. But I'd say he's normal to passive

Back
Top Bottom