Is this a practical idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone ever been able to successfully construct one of these trees and/or one of these islands? I am thinking about having one in my 75 gallon, but I want to know if it is even possible?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110710_191939.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110710_191939.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 354
  • images-5.jpeg
    images-5.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 320
ooh wow i never tried but im interested do you know how the island was made its amazing! and for the tree id guess just tie some sort of moss to a piece of branching dw?

The trees are just a bunch of moss attached to driftwood. The island is probably just a ton of moss too.

I forget the name of the moss, but it's definitely not java. One thing to keep in mind is that, these are professionally taken pictures, so the tree/Island won't always look perfect

As far as the island I don't know how it was made, but I have an idea (no clue if it will work lol). Here is my idea, take a large piece of foam (aquarium safe?) and carve it to whatever shape/size you want. After you have the shaped you want then you will need to attach some fishing line to the foam (poke a little hole). Then have some kind of anchor to keep the foam were you want it (I have seen dw with pieces of metal and I think this would work great) you would have to drill holes in the metal in every corner to attach the fishing line to it. Then you would have that metal piece under your substrate and the foam would float, and you could also attach the moss (of your choice to the foam)
Would this work or is it silly?

Fishkeeper26 said:
The trees are just a bunch of moss attached to driftwood. The island is probably just a ton of moss too.

I forget the name of the moss, but it's definitely not java. One thing to keep in mind is that, these are professionally taken pictures, so the tree/Island won't always look perfect

I realize that the tree/island would never look perfect, but I think it would still look cool IMO

It would definitely look cool, I think the island may just be a bunch of moss. Enough to make it mostly submerged, but not enough to make sink all the way to the bottom

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
itd work but do you want a see through island thats the big thing. also be careful metal+water=rust

And maybe it wouldn't work... rock would work. And Why see through? For light to get through?

fishfanatic said:
And maybe it wouldn't work... rock would work. And Why see through? For light to get through?

i just thought you wanted see through because of the picture you can see the shadow of the moss under it or do i have a different mental picture

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
i just thought you wanted see through because of the picture you can see the shadow of the moss under it or do i have a different mental picture

O I think I see what you are saying. The moss on the bottom of the island needs light? (I wonder if it is low light enough to still live without direct light?)

fishfanatic said:
O I think I see what you are saying. The moss on the bottom of the island needs light? (I wonder if it is low light enough to still live without direct light?)
hm maybe i think this is amanos work i may be wrong

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
hm maybe i think this is amanos work i may be wrong

I think it is amano as well (not 100% sure). I think the island is a bit of a stretch but I think the tree would be doable (with lots of continuous trimming).
Is it flame moss on the tree?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
im not sure i vote for flame or xmas moss id love to see the island attempted

I think I will attempt at a tree! Win or fail it will be a fun project! If you want to see the building process then go to my '75 gallon planted build thread'
Like I said win or fail it will be fun to try!

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
ive been reading along keep me posted! you should most definitely try an island too

Why don't you try it and then tell me how it goes ;). I am already the guinea pig for the tree lol

Back
Top Bottom