Is this a type of Cyno...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minkota

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 150g FOWLR Tank and it has been fallow for the last few months and I just put my first fish (lion fish) in about 2 weeks ago and within the past few days I've noticed a dark red algae growing it kinda has a velvet look to it. It is only on the rocks not on the sand or glass. Is it a type of Cyno or some type of carpet algae, good or bad?

image-445378536.jpg

It's bad and it's cyano I have a little too and it spreads all over my rocks grows fast and make sure it doesn't grow onto corals

It looks to me like a type of coraline. Is it hard to the touch? Cyano usually is kind of like hair and grows in matts. If it is cyano the only thing to cure it is to do more water changes and feed less. It feeds off excess nutrients in the water. Also check phosphate levels.

Sorry just reread. This is pretty common stuff for a new tank as well. My tank was covered in black cyano when I started mine. Another question is water flow. Cyano also tends to like dead spots in the water. If you maybe increase flow it could help as well. I know lions are messy eaters which won't help. Lol

It is not hard to get off but not as easy as Cyno ive had in the past. I can scrape it off with my fingernail with a little pressure and its white underneath and it does not blow off with a turkey baster or circulation pump.

Sounds like it isn't cyano then. If ya need finger nail to get it off its more then Likly a type of coraline. I have some bits that color in my tank. Hopefully someone else can chime in if they think otherwise. :)

Back
Top Bottom