is this a Val?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelmisty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Bought this on a whim as a " lets see how plants might do.." idea. Cashier rung it up wrong and i forgot this species name. Came wrapped with a heavy duty twist tie and no clearly identifiable roots. Looked like fresh clippings. Should i undo it and let it try and grow root loose or tied up? No substrate. Love the idea for a planted tank...just don't have the knowledge yet..Ty

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130609_215821.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130609_215821.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 116
  • ForumRunner_20130609_215843.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130609_215843.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 116
Hmmm not fully sure but looks a bit like willow hygro to me. If it is then thumbs up -- it's one of my favorite plants. :) As far as planting goes I'd untie and plant individually.

Yea definitely not a Val, but I can't be 100% on the id when they're bunched so close. Either way it should be planted with each stem having enough space so the leaves just barely touch so the light can reach the bottom leaves

No way it's a Val because they spread by runners and each runner will have roots. I'm not sure about id either. I was thinking microsword but they would have roots and would be a lot shorter and wouldn't be cuttings. Maybe some kind of rotala or Ludwigia?? But never seen a Ludwigia with that kind of leaves.

It appears to be Hygrophila corymbosa ''angustifolia''. Due to the wispiness of the leaves I suggest planting them slightly closer, plant each stem individually but let the leaves slightly overlap when planting. Do get them untied asap so the bottom stems don't start rotting.

We did separate the plants and put 2 or 3 per hole. Would you guys say this is a good "beginner" plant?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130610_183406.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130610_183406.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 78
Then I guess we know the name. :D. Willow hygro.
Quick ques: what the easiest hygrophila to grow? I was thinking hygrophila pinnatilda?

I would think your standard Hygrophila difformis is the easiest to keep although most plants that fall into the Hygrophila family are generally regarded as easy to keep. That is, except for pinnatifida. It's a little tougher to keep, although is probably the most beautiful under the right conditions with its dark red leaves and rigid leaf structure.

I would think your standard Hygrophila difformis is the easiest to keep although most plants that fall into the Hygrophila family are generally regarded as easy to keep. That is, except for pinnatifida. It's a little tougher to keep, although is probably the most beautiful under the right conditions with its dark red leaves and rigid leaf structure.

Yeah. I can't decide between looks and level of care. Most other hygros don't look that special except pinnatilda. What are the requirements of the pinnatilda? ( I'm guessing it need high light from the red tinted leaves it can have ? )

Yeah. I can't decide between looks and level of care. Most other hygros don't look that special except pinnatilda. What are the requirements of the pinnatilda? ( I'm guessing it need high light from the red tinted leaves it can have ? )

Angustifolia is a nice mixture of beauty and easy of care. And as it grows closer to the light, it can get some reds going on in the top leaves. When you get enough planted together, it can look like a freshwater kelp forest (which I think is pretty cool).

There has been some different feelings on pinnatifida. My friend and I purchase some from aquariumplants.com about a month back. We both have around medium lighting, plant substrate, and a relatively consistent fert schedule. All of his are gone, and mine are barely hanging on. They did seem like they were grown emmersed but I wouldn't blame that totally. But to get the spectacular reds and dark greens, yes you will need high light, CO2, and a fert schedule.

Pinnatifida is a hard plant to keep. I got rid of mine as it just didn't flourish the way I like. It is not a plant for everyone.

Angustifolia is a nice mixture of beauty and easy of care. And as it grows closer to the light, it can get some reds going on in the top leaves. When you get enough planted together, it can look like a freshwater kelp forest (which I think is pretty cool).

There has been some different feelings on pinnatifida. My friend and I purchase some from aquariumplants.com about a month back. We both have around medium lighting, plant substrate, and a relatively consistent fert schedule. All of his are gone, and mine are barely hanging on. They did seem like they were grown emmersed but I wouldn't blame that totally. But to get the spectacular reds and dark greens, yes you will need high light, CO2, and a fert schedule.

I like the look of a kelp forest too. That is why I really want some jungle vals. I'm definitely not getting pinnatilda then.

I tried it in a high light tank and medium light tank and it just struggles. One tank has dirt with Eco, the other just Eco. Both get dry ferts and Glut and the one now has CO2 which I doubt is going to help at this late date but we shall see. Another really hard plant that doesn't do well in my tanks is Tonia Lotus Blossom. It also just struggles to stay alive and my 220 has the right parameters for it to supposedly do well.

Back
Top Bottom