Is this algae on driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get a little algae in my tank also, but nothing too terrible. I figure that a little comes with the territory?

I get a little algae in my tank also, but nothing too terrible. I figure that a little comes with the territory?

It was "a little algae" when I took the picture. My driftwood looks like a grizzly bear's arm if I let it go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I treated the algae tonight. I only used 15ml total. I was able to cover all the algae a time or two with that amount so we will see what happens.

The only issue now is that is my bristlenose plecos favorite place and I hope the peroxide doesn't hurt him. He wouldn't leave the driftwood as much as I tried to shoo him away b

It was "a little algae" when I took the picture. My driftwood looks like a grizzly bear's arm if I let it go.

Yes, I understand. There for awhile, it seemed like I was getting it on my DF, and most of my plants. I have no clue what it is/was. I cleaned everything thoroughly and was able to eradicate most of it. I can keep it under control now if I switch out my mazanita branch every once and awhile and keep things clean. Mine is a dark brown that you can't wipe off plant leaves. I tried a hydrogen peroxide/water treatment and it had no effect.
Good luck-D

I treated the algae tonight. I only used 15ml total. I was able to cover all the algae a time or two with that amount so we will see what happens.

The only issue now is that is my bristlenose plecos favorite place and I hope the peroxide doesn't hurt him. He wouldn't leave the driftwood as much as I tried to shoo him away b

Hydrogen Peroxide oxidizes out of the water very quickly. Maybe 20-30 minutes and it's gone so it won't bother the BNP.

Hydrogen Peroxide oxidizes out of the water very quickly. Maybe 20-30 minutes and it's gone so it won't bother the BNP.

No troubles here with peroxide and b/n. Usually it is fizzing for a bit and then stops but the b/n have been avoiding that patch anyways.

Hey guys. Still having troubles with the algae. I treated once with about 15ml of peroxide and didn't seem to have any effect. I tried again a few days later but this time used about 40ml of peroxide and again no result. That was a few days ago. Here is what it looks like now..
1388866319678.jpg

There is a ton more, that's just where I could get the clearest picture.

Is this also bba?
1388866366083.jpg

If so, this is the only other place I see it and I'm assuming the orangish tips would indicate it is in fact dying.

Do I just need to hit the driftwood heavier and more often?

That's staghorn algae

This is due to bad parameters ratios. Too much light for not enough co2 and too much iron or sometime other nutrients. I had this before, I reduced light time, lifted the light a bit, increased CO2, stopped iron ferts and it reduced so much...

You can spot threat with Excel and/or peroxide. I spot threated on the areas more affected and it helped a lot ! This algae grow on slow growing plants/objects.

But on your driftwood it's more BBA I'll say. Thats due to too much light/low CO2. Can be threat with both peroxide and excel spot treatement.

How many hours a day are you running your lights? Also what ferts are you dosing and are you using CO2 or liquid carbon?

HIs light is probably too strong like mine... Look how much the picture he took is clear... What's your light fixture ?

I have similar problems with my light, can't run more than 6-7 hrs/day, or I get BBA, staghorn, sometime GW...

I get a little of that from time to time when i forget to keep up with my dosing of liquid carbon. In my experience... turning off all powerheads and filters and spot treating with glutaraldehyde works best. Leave filters and powerheads off for about an hour after treatment.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom