Is this algae, or a creature? IDK!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,
I was doing a water change on my 5 gallon planted shrimp tank when I noticed these long green almost hair like things clinging to the wall.
They seem to be moving with the water current but I'm really freaked out because I've never seen this before. IDK if it's algae, the only algae I've seen before is green and brown and it doesn't stick out like that! I'm really worried, any clue what it is?

Hers the photo, I know it's hard to see, (I'm taking pictures with my phone) but I tried to highlight the hair things.

Attachments

• image-3805967026.jpg
    image-3805967026.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 59
I can't see anything but if it really is long green hairlike stands it's algae. Unusual to find on glass. It's not any kind of "creature". How long are you leaving your lights on daily? Also what is your WC schedule and how much do you change out weekly? Do you have any live plants? What is your nitrate reading? When you have an algae issue you should only run your lights 6 hours a day until the algae is gone and the problem that caused the algae is corrected.

I think I have those I'm my tank too. When I use the gravel vacuum in some places I can see tiny hair like things sticking to the tube so they don't get sucked up and then let go once I relieve the pressure. They're not very long either

The tank is cycled, I leave the light on for about 8 hours a day, their is a Marino moss ball and a java fern in the tank, I do 50% water changes weekly. As for the water parameters I take a sample to petsmart every Sunday to get tested but I am getting an API kit today so I should have the parameters tonight. Should I perform another water change and try to scrub it off?

Ok I'm going to do a water change and scrub it off. Thanks for all the replies, I sure hope it's algae. :)

Back
Top Bottom