is this Chinese or siamese??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Magikalgirl79 said:
They don't eat off of other fish! That's crazy! I have a very large pleco and a catfish that don't move all day day long and it never even goes near them

If I was a CAE I wouldn't go near them either! I think the worry is for fish like goldfish, discus, etc.

jetajockey said:
Yeah, I've gotten mine to eat bba after it's been nuked also, when it turns white or pinkish then it seems like most omnivorous fish will have a go at it.

Yeah my dwarf gourami spends all day picking at it. He's a little piggy!

I have one of these guys that I am currently re-homing. He was fine for awhile, but got mean (like all the horror stories you hear). Mine even attacks my guppies and gives them hickies. They can be totally fine bepending on tankmates, but I wouldn't personally recommend one with a betta or with gouramis. IME, they seem to bully slower moving fish more than anything else. I have had other ones in the past too who acted the say way as the current guy. If you want to keep him for awhile to see how it goes, then just be sure to watch for hickies on the other fish. :)

dudeofrude said:
Well they are in a tank with gouramis and a male betta amoung others...

From your previous thread it is a 36 gallon right? IMO it can easily grow out of that tank. However I don't think your glow light tetras that you were planning will be a target for him.

Agree, CAE.

Assuming it only gets 5-6" I think it's okay in a 36 bow, mine is in a 33 bow and there's plenty of room to spare. Mine is very narrow and spends most of its time hiding or munching on a surface. Because of that I don't think it needs the kind of tank space that a schooler or a pacing fish would need.

Even SAE's don't really do a whole lot to black brush algae, just as a heads up.

I will have to politely disagree with you. When I had my 55 gallon planted with lowlight plants I started having a problem with black brush algae when I added higher light. I then I tried adding a DIY CO2 system and starting adding fertz, but it was just so much and I couldn't remove it and it kept coming back. I finally bought a school of true SAE and they had the tank squeeky clean within a week, it was amazing. After that I got my tank balanced back out and didn't have any further problems with that type of algae, although I kept the SAE's.

They don't eat off of other fish! That's crazy! I have a very large pleco and a catfish that don't move all day day long and it never even goes near them
I have also read reports that a CAE will attatch to slow moving fish and eat the slime coat, but I think that usually happens because they are underfed. They becoming more coniverous as they get older and need more than just algae to thrive. Like bloodworms and shrimp pellets.

jetajockey said:
Assuming it only gets 5-6" I think it's okay in a 36 bow, mine is in a 33 bow and there's plenty of room to spare. Mine is very narrow and spends most of its time hiding or munching on a surface. Because of that I don't think it needs the kind of tank space that a schooler or a pacing fish would need.

I do agree with you on that, but I've seen far too many unwanted CAEs at the LFS around here that hit the one foot mark to think it might only stay 5-6". JMO.

I do agree with you on that, but I've seen far too many unwanted CAEs at the LFS around here that hit the one foot mark to think it might only stay 5-6". JMO.
I think that has to do with multiple species being labeled as CAE, just like multiple species are labeled as SAEs.

And no I've never had luck getting my SAE's to eat fully grown BBA, if it's fresh or dying/dead they have no problem, but the stuff that looks like a fur coat just seemed to stay there until I did something to it.

I'll definitely try some SAEs on it again, though, I have a foot long piece of DW completely covered from top to bottom in the stuff.

I have also read reports that a CAE will attatch to slow moving fish and eat the slime coat, but I think that usually happens because they are underfed. They becoming more coniverous as they get older and need more than just algae to thrive. Like bloodworms and shrimp pellets.
I disagree about them eating slime coats because they are underfed. Mine had a host of algae, pellets, wafers, and flakes but he still chose to get my guppies hickies, even when he was small. Once he got bigger and I put him in a different tank, he still did to other fish (corys/platys) and now is in a qt and will be going to a new home this week. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I disagree about them eating slime coats because they are underfed. Mine had a host of algae, pellets, wafers, and flakes but he still chose to get my guppies hickies, even when he was small. Once he got bigger and I put him in a different tank, he still did to other fish (corys/platys) and now is in a qt and will be going to a new home this week. :)

See I've never had one, but yeah,.that sounds pretty aweful. I don't think I would keep one at all.

See that's the joy of these forums... so many conflicting opinions lol i now know they're definitely some kind of CEA I'm just still none the wiser as to whether they'll hurt my other fish or i should be keeping them or not lol

If you just bought it to eat algae I would return it and buy something more suitable. If you bought it to have as a pet and can accommodate it's needs then keep it. If your still not sure, keep it and put it on probation. Keep an eye on you other fish and the second it harms them trade it. my 2 cents :)

+1 on that being a CAE.

I ended up with one... It was sold to me as an SAE. It did a VERY good job on algae, but he was an aggressive lil bugger and chased my neons, red eye tetras and danios incessantly. Then fish started dying off... Most of my neons and a few of my danios. I gave him to an LFS. Within a day it was clear that my other fish were MUCH happier with him gone. The neons had started getting really thin (I thought they had NTD) but within a couple weeks they began putting on weight. I think the CAE basically stressed them to death. YMMV

In my "old" pat experience with CAE, that they will bug the weak fish. e.g. sick fish, or getting sick. They wont go near bullies. So if u r not willing to it attached with its sucker on the side of yr "about" to die fish, get rid of it

I've been watching them today and they've already strayed going for the odd tetra, not actively chasing them yet but just whenever they come within a few inches of eachother ..... not a good sign :(

Back
Top Bottom