Is this cyano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
this has popped up since I stuck my skimmer on my qt tank temporarily. I'm pretty sure it's cyano, but would just like a positive id.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415322659280.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415322659280.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 106
Looks like it to me. May I ask why skimmer on the QT? I wouldn't think it would slow down the need to do water changes on it.
I get a reading of 0ppm trates and phosphates with or without it on my dt and I had a fairly sizable trigger in qt when I had to leave town for a few days. Figured it's better to be safe than sorry.

Cyano is influenced by spectrum of lighting, flow and available nutrients. Your tests show zero because cyano is good at binding those organics even before they show on a test. Even in my low nutrient SPS system I fight a bit of cyano in areas of low flow. Increase flow to the areas that accumulate the bacteria and remove as much by hand as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cyano is influenced by spectrum of lighting, flow and available nutrients. Your tests show zero because cyano is good at binding those organics even before they show on a test. Even in my low nutrient SPS system I fight a bit of cyano in areas of low flow. Increase flow to the areas that accumulate the bacteria and remove as much by hand as possible.

I figured as much was going on there. I added an extra powerhead just to put some more flow there. If it gets out of hand I'll reduce feedings, although I don't really want to because I'm trying to fatten my yellow tang up a bit. He was a little skinny when I got him.

Even with gfo, even I have a cyano spot from the flow issue right in the middle of my tank. The distilled water doesn't help either.

The cyano has toned down a bit since I put the skimmer back on, so I'll consider that a success. It pulled out a huge amount of skimmate at first.

Dc5pPKx.jpg

Take a wiff of that skim mate. First line of defense in filtration. I wouldn't run a system without one IMO.

Back
Top Bottom