Is this expensive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquafriend

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read in my local paper (small town) that someone's wanting to sell their 55gal aquarium "complete, with stand and fluval filter" for $500. I find that expensive, even if it was totally complete with ornaments, gravel and heater. What do others think? I know it depends on exactly what they mean by "complete", but assuming the basics (not solid gold ornaments), I'm just curious. Not that I have $500, but it's the first time I've ever seen tanks for sale in my paper. I don't get out a lot!

I agree....

Then again you never know that may be a price to bring down lower??

being a used tank you may find it cheaper at walmart.

I agree....

Then again you never know that may be a price to bring down lower??

being a used tank you may find it cheaper at walmart.

It would still be pretty pricey even if it were a price set so he/she were to negotiate down. Ive been in many forums and the question of used tank prices has come up on many a occasions. the general consenses is that figure about $1.00 to $1.50 per gallon depending on condition then if it comes with accesories then about the same again now if in absolutley mint condition maybe $2.00 (but this would be prety much new) a gal for the tank until you get up into the big tanks Like 90g and up but even then around $1.50 to $2.00 is the norm for a good deal. tey say the a USED aquarium depreciates just like a used car top dollar to buy new but as soon as it leaves the store a huge depreciation factor. now alot of people don't realize this and so when they have put out alot of money in the beginning they just think that the used tank is worth more . Now to throw a wrench into that theory you will get what ever the market value is at that time and place Now if there is a limited supply and demand is high in a peticular area then of course the seller will get a higher price but I still think the price is way to high here in the city for that set up (depending on how many extras and what they are of course ) because here in the city you can get that whole set up BRAND NEW still less then $500. But this is just my opinion and you will have to factor in what city or town this is located in as Aquafriend did state that it was the first aquarium he/she saw in the paper
(by the way where are you located Aquafriend and are you looking for an aquarium or were you just curious)
Good luck :D

Depends what is meant by "complete".

If the Fluval is a 404 ($160 new), if it comes with media ($10 - $20), a slick PC lighting setup with canopy could be an easy $300 by itself, stand ($50 - $100), heaters and goodies add to the equation.

Expensive is a relative term.
Is it expensive?....

Short answer DEPENDS.

I live in Powell River, which is about five hours north of Vancouver, including two ferries (first leaving Horseshoe Bay). It's a small isolated town, only ferries in and out, so things are limited and a little pricier here. But I still think that's way too much. But like what targaboy78 said, it depends on their definition of "complete" is.
I've checked the online Buy and Sell for Vancouver and seen some awesome deals, but to get the stuff to my town is difficult, plus buying sight unseen is risky. I bought a 33gal a couple months ago from Vancouver and a friend picked it up for me. I did the deal over the phone, asked tons of questions, and still got scammed. I have to totally redo the stand, the heater is shot, the gravel's a mixed bag that's ugly, the filter's top is missing, and he was supposed to send the media with it, but did not. So basically I got a pain in the butt tank that's still not set up and is going to cost me to replace this stuff. I'm a little leary buying sight unseen now.
So, Fish Breath, as much as I want a new tank, and a really big one at that, I have to get this 33gal up and running first. But eventually....

Back
Top Bottom