Is this fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2ogirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here are some marginally better pics of our poor sick apisto. Can you tell what the patches are?

Attachments

• IMG_2876.JPG
    IMG_2876.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2877.JPG
    IMG_2877.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2878.JPG
    IMG_2878.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2879.JPG
    IMG_2879.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 98
I'm having a hard time seeing - I'm not quite sure it is fungal. Does it extend down both sides? Eating in to scales/skin or more hairy above scales?

My thought would be I'd try a treatment for fungus in QT and if that doesn't work, investigate for columnaris.

Ya that is an execlent example of columnaris there buddy. Sad to say your fish will likely not survive at this point, he has internal organ damage from the bacterium.

Sniffle sniffle.Thanks for giving to me straight. At least I can tell my little boy.

Do you have him in QT now out of the main tank? Big risk of others catching it, particularly the same school I've found.

Yes he is in qt. Crossing my fingers for the others. No symptoms as of yet. Visible signs showed up and spread so rapidly. I have no idea how long it has been affected.

It is possible that the fish will survive. My GBR looked like a sure gonna when I got a bout of columnaris but he pulled through. I did a round of API triple sulfa then I started doing 2 50% water changes a week and thoroughly cleaned my gravel and filter media every week.

He actually looks nothing like a GBR anymore and his colours are very pale but he is swimming eating and being a typical inquisitive and funny GBR.

Probably won't live as long though :(

Yes he is in qt. Crossing my fingers for the others. No symptoms as of yet. Visible signs showed up and spread so rapidly. I have no idea how long it has been affected.

Depends what you want to do I guess. Temps at the lower end (below 25C or 77F at least) will slow it down, salt helps and then anti-bacterials. My success rate is very low but larger fish I think have a better chance and it seems US has better meds to Australia / England.

Well we have to try. My boy is 7, and this is his favorite fish. He is undergoing treatment now. So, at least we can feel we did all we could do.

Thanks again for all your support Brookster. It's amazing what can be accomplished here. The outlook would be much worse if I had to go to the library and look through encyclopedias for this info. While I question the wisdom of spending a dollar to save a dime, at lease we are now prepared for the next fish illness.

Thanks again for all your support Brookster. It's amazing what can be accomplished here. The outlook would be much worse if I had to go to the library and look through encyclopedias for this info. While I question the wisdom of spending a dollar to save a dime, at lease we are now prepared for the next fish illness.
anytime! If it is infact columnaris, which it appears to be, depending on your stock that dime could turn into many dimes quick, it may be a good idea to treat the apisto with the API triple sulfa in the qt. That way you'll be prepared to treat the tank if it breaks out..

If I have to treat the community tank, what happens to filter media during this treatment? We worked so hard growing the beneficial bacteria I feel like it's a pet now too.

I never heard of any powder antibiotic wiping out bb. Tho methylene blue sure will, but it a chemical dye. That's what we're here for, to spread knowlage. Back in the day it sure was a matter of reading books and asking people.

Triple sulpha and ich treatments (malachite green / formalin) I've never noticed any ammonia problems coming in. Also melafix / pimafix went ok.

Yeah the MG and formalin will kill BB but only if you go above the reccomended dose, like no PWC before each treatment.

Yeah the MG and formalin will kill BB but only if you go above the reccomended dose, like no PWC before each treatment.

Would you know on tetracycline hydrochloride if that impacts bb much? It says on the label that the broad spectrum antibiotic may affect bb during prolonged treatment but doesn't say how long?

Apart from waterlife myxazin (which I have no idea what's in but suspect MG in part), the antibiotic above is the only one I've seen here in lfs. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom