Is this Hole in the head disease or am I just freaking out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ambizro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
See pictures below.

I have a quick question as I have a slight concern about my fish and not sure whats the best thing to do at this point.

I first notice a tiny off white spot what must be a month ago or more. Took a picture June 26th and another one today. See below. Its the only 2 pictures I have that show it.

Early may was the first sign of this small faint spot.

I recently did a 5 day Epson salt treatment and followed by a 3 day NLS hex shield treatment (end of june) because of some weird poops he was having which is not an issue anymore.

This spot is looking more like a small hole now and not just a surface blemish. I am wondering if this is [possible the start of hith!? if it is how did it survive the epson salt and NLS treaments just a bit ago?

Another reason I don't think its hith or at least unsure is because of the shape of it. most things I read mention that they start off and symetrical small holes. This one is a wierd little shape. Also most things I read also talk about it blistering and opening up and getting worst fairly quick (days) but Kai's hasn't gotten worse at least not in that kind of time frame. Its been 2 months... confused :(

So what do I do now? Nothing, wait and see if it continues to grow or more show up? Another epson salt 5 day treatment? or another NLS hex shield treatment?

I do have small twigs and branches in the tank (they have since been removed), its also a possibility that he poked himself and that is what caused it but I can't be certain about anything.

I just feel a little sick to my stomach about all of this and hoping for some advice and thoughts.

I should add that he is eating very well and super active and shows great color ect ect.
My tank maintenance and food choices are imo of very high quality. also a stress free environment.

Starting this week I have been doing daily 60-70% water changes and lightly cleaning small parts of the sand substrate each day.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• IMG_20170628_122301.jpg
    IMG_20170628_122301.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20170709_131514.jpg
    IMG_20170709_131514.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 62
Sorry I can't help. I find that the number one thing this forum lacks is timely responses to pleads for illnesses and injuries. Lots of knowledge on here but accurate diagnosis is very hard and treatment recommendations even harder. I believe there is a WebMD somewhere for pets including fish.IMG_0892.jpg

Last edited:
His ex went at him really good during one of their spawning moments... They have since split up and he prefers the single life ��

He has no issues with his mouth but it's never going to be 100%. It adds character.

Back
Top Bottom