Is this ich product safe to use with my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli

Aquarium Advice Regular
Oh dear, I have ich :( well not me, my fish to be more precise...

I have treated this condition before on my goldfish and betta so have some medication in my box of tricks. The product is called 'love fish anti white spot & parasite' -a cheapo from my local 'pets at home' store so not sure if anyone will know of it. Active ingredients per 100ml; formaldehyde 5,000mg, malachite green oxalate 47mg. The goldfish got better and is still going strong, but unfortunately the betta died a couple of days later which has made me a bit paranoid about using it again!

Currently I have angelfish, bleeding heart tetras, cardinal tetras, hatchetfish, panda corys and snails. I believe I can't use this product with the snails, but they can be moved if necessary. Is anyone else in the tank at risk?

Alternatively can someone recommend another method? I've had a check through the forum and know lots of people recommend heat/salt but again I'm not sure exactly what is compatible with my fish and I'm pretty keen to get as few casualties as possible!

Thanks for reading :)

Raise your heat up to 86-88 degrees. It speeds up life of the parasite and it dies and falls off the fish then just vacuum the dead spores. No meds required. Raise temp slowly though.

How long should I keep the temperature up for? Im a bit worried about my panda corys as they apparently don't do great at high temps :/

Oh yea, I musta missed that about the pandas I didn't see that you had them when I originally read this. I'm not sure when it comes to corys I've never had to treat ich in a tank with them before. Hopefully someone else can help on that topic. Sorry, didn't mean to give out bad info.

It's no problem I didn't mean to sound criticising, it was a good suggestion :)

I know it maybe sounds bad but I'm pretty keen not to kill the pandas or hatchets in particular as I had to mail order them which made them pretty expensive by the time you include to postage and they will be difficult to replace and they are my favourites. Not that I don't care about the others too, but if the worst should happen and I would have to replace them it wouldn't be as much of a fuss to do so.

Eli said:
It's no problem I didn't mean to sound criticising, it was a good suggestion :)

I know it maybe sounds bad but I'm pretty keen not to kill the pandas or hatchets in particular as I had to mail order them which made them pretty expensive by the time you include to postage and they will be difficult to replace and they are my favourites. Not that I don't care about the others too, but if the worst should happen and I would have to replace them it wouldn't be as much of a fuss to do so.

No worries I didn't take it as criticism. I'm glad you pointed that out. I did a little checking and people have had success using rid-ich at half dosage for sensitive and scaleless fish like corys and loaches.

Back
Top Bottom