Is this possible? Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pookawolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm not a beginner but it has been a while since I've had a fish tank. I've got a 40 breeder that I started cycling Sunday evening. I added 1/4 cup of ace ammonia and a pinch of ground up fish food. Needless to say the ammonia tested off the charts (teal within 30 seconds). I did almost a 100% water change (I left some water at the bottom of tank and in the filter). That brought the ppm down to 6 (between 4 and 8 on my liquid test). I didn't seed the tank at all.

I tested the tank on a whim this evening and the ammonia dropped to 2ppm and I have .5ppm nitrites...I didn't think I would see a drop in ammonia for another week. Could this really be happening this quickly?

It is weird for it to happen that fast. Just double check the tests and see what you get. If they are the same then you are just having a fairly fast cycle thus far.

It is weird for it to happen that fast. Just double check the tests and see what you get. If they are the same then you are just having a fairly fast cycle thus far.

agree with adadkins1 about double checking your tests ... that is a fast cycle.
Did you use any seeding material? Substrate / filter media / decor from an established tank? Bacteria in a bottle?

Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a bit too good to be true. Absolutely everything is new or hasn't been used in over 5 years (decided to use my old aqua clear filter but I got new sponges for it). I've got 2 heaters, 2 filters, 45lbs aquarium gravel mixed with 65lbs eco complete, a place for my future fish to hide. The only thing besides ammonia in there is/was some ground up fish food (a small packet came with the tank so I decided it might not hurt to add a pinch to my relatively sterile box of water).

To add I tested everything before hand and got zero's for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Temp is set at 82 degrees F. I just retested the nitrite (I figured that would be easier to tell a difference in since it should be light blue) and I got the same results. Would the fish food somehow add nitrites?? Thanks for the reassurance, I guess we will see how this thing cycles. My 5 month old would love it if we could get fish sooner rather than later, although he is pretty fascinated with the huge box of water sitting in the living room.

Thank you, I just skimmed it and I will definitely read it more thoroughly tomorrow. I guess I may be in for an interesting ride, fortunately I have no intentions to add fish until I'm certain the tank has cycled!

Heterotrophic bacteria is not nitrifying bacteria. It is the bacteria that consume the solids in the tank and produces ammonia.

If you happen to look at my fishless cycle I think you would think a little different. On just the 4th day I got extremely high test results. I only had the Eco-Complete, water, and 4ppm of Ammonia in the tank. Something started processing the Ammonia....What do you think it was if Heterotrophic bacteria doesnt process Ammonia?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/my-40b-fishless-cycle-log-165139.html

BillD said:
Heterotrophic bacteria is not nitrifying bacteria. It is the bacteria that consume the solids in the tank and produces ammonia.

I agree that heterotrophs are not the true nitrifying bacteria found in home aquaria...but they will perform nitrification, hence why they are sold in "instant cycling" products, bacteria boosters and certain substrates. I think it's pretty clear by viewing these two threads that heterotrophs can cause conversion of ammo > no2 > no3. The issue is their limited life span and the potential to initially outcompete the true nitrifiers. There's obviously not enough of the autotrophs present (without heavily seeding the tank) to cause this type of conversion within a few days.

http://www.bioconlabs.com/autoheterobac.html
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html#products
http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

FishN00b83 I've been following your thread and was going to sit down and see how they compare tonight. Besides the Nitrites showing up way too quickly my cycle seems to be going relatively "normal". It is taking longer to get an increase in nitrates than to see nitrites. I'm on day 11 and have Ammonia 0 Nitrite off the charts and Nitrate between 20 and 40. Funny enough my ph seems to have raised from 7.4 to 7.6 and nothing has been added to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom