Is this rocksacping OK ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maurice2

Aquarium Advice Regular
*bows politely* Greetings :D

I'm a complete newbie, both to aquariums and this forum, where there seems to be a lot of wise people. I'd like to ask for advice on rockscaping, as I haven't been able to find any threads on the subject.

I've had built a 126-gallon FOWLR, wet-dry, sump, filled it 10 days ago, added 25Kgs of LR and as much ceramic/dead rock decorations 3 days ago. 2 55W T5 lights. At the moment I have 24°C, 1.0215, Ph 8, NH4 0.1 NO2 0.2, NO3 0, PO4 0.6 and Ca 420. I'm thinking about a semi-aggresive tank as suggested in The New Saltwater Aquarium, I'd also like to have some inverts, at least for the cleanup crew.

I've read that one is supposed to provide lots of hiding places. My ceramic decor has loads of tunnels and so forth, and I've tried to arrange the rocks to make as many crannies as possible, the question is: Is what I've done acceptable? I understand that it's hard to judge from a picture, but any comments would be appreciated. (The plants are all plastic).

Front view:
AquariumFront2NoBackS.jpg

Side view:
AquariumSide1s.jpg

Thanks in advance :wink:

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Looks like a good start. I like the shape of some of that artificial rock, the big scoops look like great spots for placing corals if you ever go that way.

The whimisical figures are saltwater safe?

What kind of fish are you planning to keep? That can affect aquascaping. An eel is likely to knock down anything elaborite, while other delicate species won't survive without a tank chock-full of rock.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Ah-ha, so eels will knock things over? Does that mean you have to "stick" you rockscape together in some way?

Chock-full of LR for some species? Will my wet-dry filter not take care of that? (assuming there's enough anaerobic spaces in the LR to break down NO3?

I'm not yet decided on the fish. Lots of them on my initial wishlist have gone because too aggresive or venomous (e.g. lionfish).

If I start with a small juvenile, would Pomacanthus imperator be unreasonable?

I saw a really cute Lactoria cornuta, but read that it can give off a lot of poison when scared. Thoughts?

Finally, I'd like 2 Amphiprion percula, ideally with an anemone. Do I have enough light for the anemone with 2x55W T5 15000K?

Thanks again,
Maurice

Pomacanthus imperator - You have a borderline tank for a full grown Pomacanthus imperator, 150 gallons is recomended by sources I trust, at that size tank he'll take up about half the bioload of the tank. Are you planning to upgrade your tank in the future when he grows bigger? May need vitimin suppliments to reach full coloration in adulthood.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=411

lactoria cornuta - Your tank is large enough for this fellow, although not with the imperator. Many marine animals are poisonous, care should be taken when handling them. Make sure you have large amounts of carbon, and pre-mixed saltwater for waterchanges on hand should the fish release it's poison into the water. I don't see another reason listed here, but this creature is listed as an "expert only" fish, so you may want to wait until you have more experience to get one.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=68&N=0

Amphiprion percula - Clownfish are great beginner fish. I highly recomend you try it. Clownfish should be kept in pairs, although you can in a larger tank sometimes peacefully keep pairs of several species in the same tank. Since you have such interest in larger fish, you might look at other clownfish species as well. Amphiprion percula are among the smallest of clownfish.

anemone - You do not have enough lighting for one. You need reef level lighting to support an anemone. (a hood packed with T5s, or a couple MH fixtures.) If you choose all reef compatible fish, you could get some low-light corals that the clownfish may choose to host in. Otherwise any object that provides shelter may be accepted by the clownfish. The clownfish does not need a host to be happy anyway.

live rock - the need for this is not just filtering, but the critters that grow on the rock are food for some fish. These types of fish can not be bought when the tank is new, they need a mature system with lots of little critters to harvest.

Back
Top Bottom