Is this safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiggles24

Aquarium Advice Addict
I read yesterday about somebody using the crayola colored play sand for their tank. They said it was safe but I would like a second opinion before I seriously consider this! Thanks:)

I'm not really sure if it's safe. Is this an actual product or do you color the sand yourself? I don't even recommend using colored gravel that's sold at Pet Smart, so I'm going to say no.

It may be okay, but I try to use 100% natural substrate like Eco-Complete and 100% natural decorations like driftwood and rocks from outside. Anything artificially colored just brings excess chemicals into the tank.

Amazon.com: Crayola Play Sand (Green) 20lb Bag: Toys & Games

Here is a catalog listing with a lot of information. It is painted with non-toxic paint. I haven't heard of it before this and have never used it in any way.

To me, it sounds a lot like the colored Petco sand. I have Petco black sand in my tank, which is painted sand, and it is fine. The thing is that 20 lbs of Crayola sand costs a little more than I can buy 20 lbs of Petco sand for, and I absolutely know the Petco sand is aquarium safe. I wouldn't buy the Crayola sand for that reason, but YMMV. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
If you want colored sand, I'd go with the stuff from Petco. It says non-toxic, but I believe they mean non-toxic to humans when they print that on the Crayola product. There are many things that are harmless to humans that can harm fish.

Honestly last night was the first time I had heard of anybody doing it! Lol but, I did go to the crayola store online and one of its recommended used is fish bowls. Yeah it's a little pricey but being as there is no petco around here and I have to pay shipping the price is about the same;) I have 1 tank left that I am switching to sand I was thinking black petco sand mixed with teal or green would look awesome!

Wiggles 24 your ordered snails from me. I just tracked them and they are in Bristol TN not VA.... I have the receipt to prove that I sent it to VA.

image-2104905642.jpg

Sorry for the inconvenience. I guess you will have to contact them. Btw your inbox is full so I had to post on here. Thanks

Wiggles 24 your ordered snails from me. I just tracked them and they are in Bristol TN not VA.... I have the receipt to prove that I sent it to VA.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I guess you will have to contact them. Btw your inbox is full so I had to post on here. Thanks

Never mind. I called post office and they are on the truck going to your house.

I cleared my inbox. I honestly font know who is getting my snails I guess because I don't live in Virginia or Texas

Sorry never mind you are the wrong person. You live in Cali. Don't you? Yours were shipped and you will be getting then soon. I got you mixed up.

Back
Top Bottom