Is this too many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kentuckylove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I will have a 60 gallon tank. Dimensions:
4 flower shrimp
6 bleeding heart tetra
6 emperor tetra
3 silver hatchet
3 marthaw silver hatchet (I know hatchets are supposed to be in groups of 6, so is mixing them like this ok?)
1 krib cichlid
1 keyhole cichlid
2 pearl gourami
6 platies
6 cardinal tetras (Would these be eaten?)

That's some odd dimensions...a foot long 60 gallon?
You will likely see issues arise with the keyholes (a peaceful cichlid) and kribs (a not very peaceful Cichlid) and that's not a lot of length wise room for that many tetras.
Aqadvisor is a great website to get a very general idea of your tank stocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here is what aqadvisor says about my tank. I hope that link works. It give me warnings about the breeding keyhole and pearls, but if I get two, I'd like to have two females of each, to keep aggression down.
Here is the tank I'm getting, by the way.

4 flower shrimp
6 bleeding heart tetra
6 emperor tetra
3 silver hatchet
3 marthaw silver hatchet (I know hatchets are supposed to be in groups of 6, so is mixing them like this ok?)
1 krib cichlid
1 keyhole cichlid
2 pearl gourami
6 platies

This should help!

That's some odd dimensions...a foot long 60 gallon?
You will likely see issues arise with the keyholes (a peaceful cichlid) and kribs (a not very peaceful Cichlid) and that's not a lot of length wise room for that many tetras.
Aqadvisor is a great website to get a very general idea of your tank stocking.

I'm with bichir, cichlids might not get along. 2 gourami's in the same tank is also going out on a limb unless the tank is huge that they have territories away from each other.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

4 flower shrimp

6 bleeding heart tetra

6 emperor tetra

3 silver hatchet

1 krib cichlid

1 keyhole cichlid

2 pearl gourami

6 platies

Do you live in Kentucky? I'm in Louisville.

Unless you're buying the fish from a reputable dealer who will be able to sex the fish or you are able to correctly sex the fish at the store, you're going to deal with a lot of aggression issues and most likely a lot of taking fish back until you find the right balance. It's not a large tank and to put quite a few territorial cichlids in there along with the large amount of tetras is going to be a challenge at first. Be sure to stock the tetras first and work with least aggressive to most aggressive to give yourself the best chance of it working.

As far as the flower shrimp, they are filter feeders and really need an established tank that has been running for quite some time in order for them to have food to eat. They don't do well in a new tank, so I'd hold off on those or just cut them out completely. Mixing the hatchets is fine, just like Aqadvisor says you'll need to buy a glass lid that fits your tank and not rely on the little hood that comes with it. Also, I agree with Bichir, I'd remove the kribensis completely.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Obviously the dimensions are wrong. The length and width should be switched, PetsMart has it posted wrong on the website.

Obviously the dimensions are wrong. The length and width should be switched, PetsMart has it posted wrong on the website.

Haha yeah I thought I noticed that. They're the exact the dimensions of my 60 gallon just flopped a little.

Back
Top Bottom