Is this used set-up a good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smiler21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I am new to this site and am looking to buy a saltwater tank. I know someone that is selling the following set-up. Is it a good deal? He said he had it set-up for 7 months.

Tenecor Blue background Acrylic 55 gal--48X13X20 with unitex stand and canopy
(overflow is in back left corner)

Little Giant Pump 2-MDQX-SC

Custom SeaLife Model 06014 36" hood lighting with fan--Needs Ultra-Actinic Twin Tube(can you still get) He says the daylight bulb was just replaced before he broke it down.

90 lb of what was Fiji live rock but now is dead (will it come back?)

LifeGard Big Digital Temp alert

FasTest Master Kit with refills

There is no sump or tubes/pipes to connect. Would need to buy those.

He is asking $500. Is it worth this? What is it worth?

Thanks, Steve

Not a bad deal. I just bought a used 180 glass, he gave me a home-made sump, lighting, and stand that I trashed. Also a pump and uv sterilizer that I am swapping for better equipment and I got along with 120 lbs of live rock for $500.

But if the tank is clean and in good shape $500 is not bad. Could get better though!

Also keep in mind is that really the size you want. 55 gallon tanks in marine limit what you can keep and have a lot more maintenance than a larger tank, so if you really want to or can go larger, do it before you buy that tank, not after.

Mike

If the lighting was something better and the liverock was still alive and had a sump it would be a good deal.

There's always a 55 gallon tank in the classifieds in my newspaper that has everything + livestock for like $250. I would get them but no room. If I had the room I'd buy the tanks then strip them down, ei. sell the livestock and clean and sell the equipment, could probably make an easy couple $100 profit, just need the space and time.

agree with the above statements. Acrylic is touch to clean as well. If this is your first tank, I would go with a glass tank. The 3ft light on a 4ft tank might be ok for fish but probably not for a reef.

Welcome to AA!

I would always ask what kind of meds have been used in a used tank.

:smilecolros: Welcome to AA :smilecolros:

I would tend to believe you could get a better deal. But if it looks like a nice tank then get it. As the others said also the acrylic will scratch easier and might be hard to clean.

Back
Top Bottom