is this worth worrying about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7712/1330056807416.jpg

I had to add these 3 screws, to my DIY hood, because the acrylic bowed.

The screws are not in the water but the bubbles from my pump splash and cause water to build up on them, eventually (I'm sure), the water will go back into the tank.

Will something like that cause a dangerous change in my water chemistry?

Are they stainless steel screws? I'm not sure but I think some screws can rust overtime and you might have that in your water eventually.

Jason7894561230 said:
I dont think so, is the water like going onto the screws and eventually dripping back down?
The water will drip back in, off of the screws.

George9 said:
Are they stainless steel screws? I'm not sure but I think some screws can rust overtime and you might have that in your water eventually.
I'm sure they are just zinc coated.

Use stainless screws. You don't want in time the screws to rust and seep into your tanks water. It can cause issues I'm sure.

I sealed all of my screws with silicone but, I noticed it had bowed afterwards and just zipped a few screws. I wad kind of in a rush because I have to work soon and I don't want my tank uncovered, all night, while waiting for more silicone to cure.

Are you guys sure that rust is the only danger. What about just having various metals in your water? Can't that be dangerous?

TankBoss said:
Are you guys sure that rust is the only danger. What about just having various metals in your water? Can't that be dangerous?

I'm not sure about the metals, but the main reason why I thought metal was bad was because of rust (unless zinc coated) but I'm interested to find out what met can do. But the screws you have aren't really in in the water are they? The water just drips off it so it's not too bad

George9 said:
I'm not sure about the metals, but the main reason why I thought metal was bad was because of rust (unless zinc coated) but I'm interested to find out what met can do. But the screws you have aren't really in in the water are they? The water just drips off it so it's not too bad

That's what I'm hoping but I really have no idea. lol

TankBoss said:
That's what I'm hoping but I really have no idea. lol

Yeah I dint think you should worry, but I also dont know much about metal. So wait for more knowledgable answers lol

Back
Top Bottom