Is your tank ever perfect? *sigh*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
With 3 tanks, I'm quaranteed to have some kind of a problem with at least one of them at a time, and sometimes all of them. I restarted in the hobby in late September. I seem to be going through the same stuff with each tank one or more at a time: first you get the diatoms, then the green algae, and then the cyanobacteria. Now that I beat the cyanobacteria, I got some fin rot in one of my tanks. Nothing serious, but after waiting a while with no meds, I finally decided to go for the antibiotics today, since new fish were getting it when the previous ones were cured from their slight cases. Then I saw some white worms in one of my tanks (apparently planaria, again nothing serious, but yucky nevertheless). After a while I realised I was having them in all of my tanks. Now that I just got over the more frequent water changes caused by the cyanobacteria, I have to start them again to kill the worm population, lol. I'm starting to realise that it's not likely all my tanks at any time will be 100% free from disease and all other problems :lol:. I haven't really had anything serious so far, and haven't lost a single fish (I lost a shrimp for something I don't know), but the tanks are certainly keeping me busy :lol:.

Hi Sinuhe,

I'm glad that you haven't suffered any really serious problems or lost any fish.

Your post is a reminder to us all that

1 As aquarists, we are attempting to maintain a micro-environment within a glass box that
is situated in our livingroom.

2 It is not as easy as it would seem.

3 When you stop to think about it, it is absolutely amazing how these dynamic environments
maintain their balance in the wild!!!!!

Sinuhe the thread makes me laugh a bit :lol: . I don't ever think any of my tanks is perfect. Especially with the plants!!!!

Well, maybe perfect is not the right word, but I'd like to, at least for a moment, be satisfied with the tank :lol:. Having everything in balance and looking nicely put together.

I had an algae outbreak in 2 of my 3 tanks and it's now under control. My tanks really never have any problems. I guess I'm lucky?

Well maybe I'm too festidious. If I can spot any fish poop the tanks not perfect :lol:

I hear ya Sati; my 55g has decided this week is a good week for a bacterial bloom. We leave for England in 4 days so if I can't clear it up by Tues (hah!) it'll be mucky all week *sigh*

Stable might be better :p. English is not my first language, so please excuse my sometimes lacking knowledge of the deeper meaning of words.

And it's Sinuhe, not Sinhue ;)

Actually your english and syntax is so good it's almost hard to believe it isn't your first language :mrgreen: . And I know your English is better than my Finnish. Is that the language? :D

Aha! Its not a bacterial bloom, its an ALGAE bloom!

It starting getting a green tint yesterday, and I have finally figured out whats going on. I have the blinds up so the cat can see out the window (he kept chewing on them cause they were in his way LOL); the tank is getting morning light because of that. So I have 3 days to black out the tank before I leave; hopefully that will help.

Thanks, Brian :). Yes, Finnish is the language.

Alli, good luck with fighting the algae bloom! For how long will you be gone, and do you have someone looking after your tanks during the trip? And who will "look after" our tanks when you're not here giving advice? :cry: :lol:

Hi All:

Geeez, was this the wrong thread to read! After only 3 weeks into this hobby you've all certainly given me a lot to look forward to. Diatoms, cyanobacteria, white worms, Ich, fin rot, algae and all the rest. AHHHH! Maybe I should concentrate on raising aquarium diseases instead of tropical fish. It certainly seems easier, especially for someone who gets annoyed by dust bunnies under the furniture. LOL!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Oh no, I didn't mean to discourage anyone! :lol: Sorry about that. There is still a lot I enjoy about the hobby, and if you take it as a challenge, it'll keep your interest up for a long time ;).

I have been in your shoes, Sinuhe! For me, the trick for all of these relatively common problems was increasing my water change regimen, and I doing so prevents a multitude of ills. Now I do them about every 3-4 days, and things have been quite stable for some time that way. Now it is habit, and I am able to really sit back and enjoy my tanks. I have been lucky, too, however, because from time to time most tanks will develop some kind of issue.

It seems to me that most of the people on this board enjoy the little problems that happen every once in a while. Without those challenges fish keeping wouldn't really be much of a hobby. A tank would become little more than a decoration in your house...although sometimes those problems do get on your nerves.

although sometimes those problems do get on your nerves.
I think that is true, especially when it is more than one tank. I don't like things to stay the same year after year in my tanks, and wind up rearranging inhabitants among my tanks to create biotopes, species-only tanks, and rearranging decor and plantings. I do think that these setbacks are wonderful learning experiences.

LOL I thought I was there. Then I realized the 'stains' on my silk plants had spread to the glass walls, and it was really algae. I just got 3 otos to take care of it. Hope that does the trick!

Back
Top Bottom