Issue With Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewToFish1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
My friend just gave me his old 200 litre tank, I'm currently testing for leaks and other equipment and do plan on cycling it to keep a small group of discus or red bellied piranhas but but when I filled the tank up, added the lights and a digital thermometer, saw the temp had shot up to 90 to 95 F O_O and that was without my heater coming on.

The tank has two T8 30 watt daylight bulbs. Should I try a bulb that isn't as bright such as a blue, don't wanna add fish after cycling it the lights alone are making the water that warm :(

I'm gonna guess that your thermometer is wrong. T8 light will at most raise the temp 1-2 degrees. That's on the high side too as my T5 HO lights have little to no effect on temp. Does the water feel warm if you stick your hand in?

I'm gonna guess that your thermometer is wrong. T8 light will at most raise the temp 1-2 degrees. That's on the high side too as my T5 HO lights have little to no effect on temp. Does the water feel warm if you stick your hand in?

+1 start with the simple things first and try a different thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom