It this a safe substrate for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keke89

Aquarium Advice Activist
I decided to replace some of my gravel with sand today. Bought bag of white sand. Not sure what name is, because it has no labeling on it. To the touch it feels a bit course. Beautiful white color tough.

What worries me is that my cory catfish has to taken to it as I was hoping for. Should I give them some time? It is only the first day...

please note that the sand also has kind of shine to it, it glitters in the sun.

I will post a picture as soon as I can, however the app gives me error messages when trying to upload.

Any advise always appreciated.

I tried looking for pictures to compare on internet.. Could not find something, however saw a picture if silica, could it be it? Does silica feel course and have particles in it almost looking like glass?

Nope still not able to do pictures. Apologies

I meant to say was.. That my cory catfish and loaches has not taken to the sand. That worries me a bit.

Also just asking here: are loaches and cory catfish compatible with silica?
I am starting to get a very good /bad feeling that this is silica. It feels sharp / corse. Shiny. - in other words it is blasting sand. Can not think that this is good for tiny naked bodies.

Hi there. My Cory's like to dig and rummage in the substrate. I have read that sharp sand or gravel can damage their barbels and then they have trouble finding food. It might be a blessing if the Cory's are not digging. Did your Cory's dig before you added the sand?

Hi scotjudd,? These little guys must be very intelligent then, they use to dig in my gravel, and that is why i found it soo strange when they were not interested in the sand no digging at all. They are Only skimming across it.. But no digging in the new substrate.

Still can't post pictures., will do as soon as I can

Woop, woop. Took bad sand out, put good sand in riverbed sand!!!! Cory's did not wait at all. Immediately took it, I feel so happy!!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391345450.902842.jpg

Back
Top Bottom