Its all YOUR fault

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gone fishin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wanted to let you all know after reading this forum and asking lots of questions, I finally got my 55 gal tank in order. It looks awsome! There in lies the problem. It looks so good I had to go buy a new 90 gal. tank. Its all YOUR fault, lol. So, I thought you could help me with any tips on setting it up. Ive got the substrate, lighting, CO2, etc. One thing I was wondering is that I read somewhere about adding a thin piece of foam or something under it as sort of a cusion. I am building my own cabinet for it, as I built all our kitchen cabs and its in the same room and I want it to match. Also it is going in the wall to the living room. I dont plan on actually seeing "through" it, because the idea is to keep the solid planted look. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I use insulating foam sheeting underneath my tank, and also behind the paper background. Somehow, I think it keeps my heaters from being over-worked.

Some have suggested using styrofoam inside the tank before putting the substrate in. In this way there is less of a chance rocks and such will damage or crack the bottom of the tank.

gone fishin said:
Its all YOUR fault

Well, thank you very much. :D

I echo BrianNY. Some commercial stands are hollow in the area directly under the tank and since you're DIY, I'm sure you will address this.

Good luck with the...ahem...new tank.

Most of the time foam under the tank is for tanks that don't have a frame around the bottom. For instance acrylic tanks and custom glass tanks. I thought I read some where that AGA and Oceanic don't recommend the foam and will void warranties because of it.

humpty

Would cork work for underneath the tank? Not as insulating as foam perhaps but a good "leveler" in case there is even a tiny bit of tank that's not flush with the stand (the business card under the tank check will give you this information). Very juicy idea with the foam inside the tank for insulation and protection. Would that trap dangerous nitrites or ammonia down there? If not, I'm all over that for my next tank.

Thanks for the advice, Ill have to see if I can find some good foam. I thought the insulating factor might help just a little, for heat and sound. One thing I forgot in my post was, how many of you are coming over to help me lift it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom