It's been awhile. Seeking advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickschabener

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

It's been awhile since I took down my freshwater tanks as I am trying my hand at saltwater. My daughter is going to be setting up my freshwater tank (AGA 29 gallon) this weekend. She will have a typical community tank with fancy tail guppies, neon tetras, angel fish, etc. I'm looking for advice on what the current philosophy's are for a few things:

* I was using tap water conditioned with Prime. Would it be better for her to use my RO water (or my RO and DI water) instead of tap water?

* I remember that smaller size substrate is better than bigger to keep debris on top of the substrate. I had switched mine to Tahitian Moon before I took it down. Is Tahitian Moon a good choice for substrate?

* I have my Whisper (I believe Whisper 3) power filter. Still a good, basic choice?

* In addition to the power filter, what's the thinking on undergravel filters with a powerhead on the riser tube these days?

* Is driftwood (sold for aquarium use) okay?

Is there anything else that's changed in the last 3 years or so?
Any and all comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Rick

The fish sound ok. Tap water is fine conditioned with prime. UGF is not needed or recommended. Driftwood is a great decoration, especially for a tank with angels.
Sand makes a great substrate.

A power filter is good the whispers are supposed to be efficient... DO NOT USE an UGF... they are more trouble than their worth .. LOL. Just stick with the HOB filter... easier to clean, easier to maintain.

Everything else sounds great. Although if you have angels with guppies, if your angels ever reach full size they may have a snack...

I am sorry. I missed the neon and guppy part. Do not mix them with angels. Some other tetras or rasboras would do nicely. Maybe black skirts or rummy noses. Harlequin rasboras are pretty too.

or...... Serpae tetras and loaches and cory catfish :)))

Or if you want to go with guppies and tetras .... use Gouramis as your "big fish"

Tap water is fine unless you have a reason to beleive your tap water is way out of whack. IE really hard or really soft, or a ph that is way off norm

rickschabener said:
Thanks for all the responses. So, there is really no need to go with the RO water? Tap water is fine?

as long as you add dechlor it should be fine. My tapwater is horrible but the fish do fine in it... it has a pH of like 7.8 and im sure it's really hard because even with peat in the filter it buffers right back up ... lol... but i keep all sorts of fish in it with no problems!

Back
Top Bottom