It's offical: I'm a sucker for a fishy face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting filters Purrbox... I'll see if I can find them or similar here- being a broke college student they're really at the edge of my budget... adding shipping might just be too much (though the second one is on sale... hmm...)

I was considering one of these (probably the 20i): Aquarium Filters: Whisper In-Tank Filters

the flow rate's pretty high but it's much more concentrated... I think that's the main problem with the filter I have- it has a high flow rate *and* it all comes down in a wide space in the middle.

If you're handy, there are some DIY instructions out there for making your own Canister filter. This may or may not end up saving much money in the end though, depending on the water pump used.

DIY stuff is probably a bad idea as I'm in a dorm room with limited tools/space...

No comments on the filter I posted?

I shall make a trip to Target for a soap dish. Thanks guys. :)

There are better choices than the Whisper. The filter cartridge is a cottony material but it has carbon inside. You can't really get the carbon out without cutting into and destroying the cartridge. I like filters that have separate biological, mechanical and chemical media compartments. I have this filter in my 10 gallon betta tank: the Duetto 50. You could try the Duetto 100 in your 8 gallon tank with a heavier bioload. I took out the carbon cartridge and put a little piece of fiberfloss in there.

Here is another internal filter that looks good:

Microclean 316 Internal Filter

I really like the Duetto 100 and will go with that one... the adjustability but ability to have a high flow rate is nice. Also it's completely submersible which will work best with my tank setup. Thanks for sending me those links!

The replacement cartridges are a little tricky though- I see the DJ-100 Pre-filter sponge and the DJ-100 Biological Filter but also a Carbon Cartridge... what do I need? (I would like to have one set of replacement media hanging around, it's just not clear what it comes/runs with.)

You guys are lifesavers!!

The Duetto filter will come with all 3 media shown: the biological filter, the pre-filter sponge, which I call the mechanical filtration (those two are made of the same sponge material) and the carbon cartridge. I removed this cartridge completely and put a bit of fiberfloss in that area. It does reduce the output a bit, which is fine for one betta. I haven't had to change either sponge yet, and I've been running these filters for about 2 years. I've gotten a replacement Duetto but just put the same original sponges back in.

I really don't think you'll need one. I never used mine. Carbon removes meds, but generally, you don't put meds in a planted tank. You will have the one that comes with the filter when you buy it, but I really don't think you'll have to order another one.

Watch out for those little black suction cups that hold the filter onto the glass - I did lose one of those. I pulled it off to clean it, since it wasn't sticking well anymore, and it got lost on the paper towel with plant trimmings, so it got thrown away. They do have replacements available but with shipping and handling, it was about $10. So, be very careful of your suction cups :) or order a few when you order another sponge.

I can't seem to find the suction cups on the website... odd. I'll just be sure to be careful with them I guess. Thanks for letting me know!

I can't seem to find the suction cups on the website... odd. I'll just be sure to be careful with them I guess. Thanks for letting me know!

If they're not listed on the website, look in the little booklet that comes with the filter. That's where I saw a listing of the replacement parts. I called them on the phone and that's when the rep said it would cost something like $10 for one or two cups. Combining an order for the cups plus a sponge or two is best!

Update on miss betta... she is happily living her fishy life in my 8gal. She's really pretty cool- comes up to see what I'm doing when I go up to the tank, bumps my fingers when I'm filling test tubes for water tests, knows when it's feeding time and waits for me to drop her food in. I'm a converted betta fan...

I would provide pics but I made the mistake of finishing up a treatment with Flourish Excel (for algae) and then leaving the lights off for a couple of days while out of town, and the majority of my anacharis is in really bad shape. *smacks forehead* The tank's pretty ugly right now except for my lovely blue betta.

New filter should be here on Friday, so hopefully in a couple of weeks there will be less current for her swimming pleasures. :)

Not officially- I've been calling her Miss Betta-fish (so original!). I just can't seem to come up with a name that suits her.

For some reason Doris comes to mind, although as I have a cousin named Doris I might want to avoid that...

I still say you should name her "Miss Pea-pod"

Why is it that No one ever listens to me? All of my imaginary friend do!

Bob

Yes, she is a fish... but she is far too aloof and not cute enough to be Pea-Pod. That and she's getting so dark parts of her are almost black (her fins are light blue at the edges then gradually darken to a really gorgeous sapphire). She's colored up a lot since I got her.

Maybe I should start looking at renaissance-era queens- she certainly considers herself queen of the tank...

Currently her name is STUPID BETTA!!!!!

Tried to commit suicide behind the new filter. No idea how she fit in between the wall and the filter (which suctions to the wall), but I'm glad I got up to look at the fishies when I did and couldn't find her. Just barely glanced at the new filter and saw her stuck (blue fish, blue filter media) and yanked the thing off the wall. She's OK but was flopped up at the surface breathing for quite a while.

Cliche, cliche, but maybe Betty Boop should be her name. She's apparently a little air-brained and it seems like it might fit her personality otherwise.

She's getting chubby/bloated from all the algae wafer she's been stealing... the cories have been getting almost none of it (tetras like it too).

Perhaps in her previous life she was a blonde? (Ow, that was a bad one!)

I guess I have to withdraw my suggestion to name her "pea-pod" and ammend that to read "pea-brain!"

You could try putting a sign near the filter saying "Keep off", but she probably won't read it either.

Bob

Glad she's doing well!

How does she get on with the Neons? I'd like to have a Betta with a small school (about 4) Neon Tetras but a friend advised me against this as he thought they may nip at the Betta's fins.

Back
Top Bottom