It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had some problems with that sku# when I was looking for the sand. The problem was that Home Depot uses the same # for "Play Sand" wether it is Old Castle, Quickcrete, or any other brand. At least that is what I found. If you are having trouble finding it locally, Please have an employee lay their eyes on the bag and have them describe it. Believe me, I made too many trips based on the sku alone.
PS Good luck!!! :)

Looking on Home Depot's website, they advertise that they carry Coastal Supply Company Fantasy Sand in what seems to be the same distribution area as the Old Castle sand. Has anybody bathed this stuff in vinegar?

FYI--I could be wrong but I would highly suggest rinsing the sand heavily before use. Great sand but extremely high powder content. Very hard to filter it out.

Jeff W.
Evansville, IN

Just looked up on MSDS. King Play Sand content Silica so im better off not getting it

Arizona?

Has anyone found any of this playsand in the Phoenix area (I'm in Scottsdale). I've tried everywhere I can think of and have been unsuccesful so far.

jeffw85 said:
FYI--I could be wrong but I would highly suggest rinsing the sand heavily before use. Great sand but extremely high powder content. Very hard to filter it out.
You're not "wrong" but it is a matter of opinion. Some believe the silt sized grains to be just as beneficial as the larger sized grains. I tend to agree and wouldn't rinse any sand that I got. But I also hear about just as many people filtering their sand as those who don't.

Don't bother gettin Old Castle in California from HD. I called the Pennsylvania stores and got the SKU. Then called customer service and they said since this product is not in the "west coast market" (why I don't know) they cannot ship to the west coast. Went to California store and their computers cannot even pull up the SKU. :cry:

If anyone in the St. Louis area is interested in getting some Old Castle Tropical sand, the Fairview Heights, IL HD has 12 bags left. I had some transfered in from another store and they sent too much. It isn't out on the floor yet, but I suspect it will be soon.

Good Luck!

New LFS in Macomb County, MI (in Macomb Township) is carrying Old Castle. Bit pricey, at 10.99 for a 50lbs. bag, but it still beats the CaribSea 20lbs. for $18. They only got the one pallet, and said that alone was tough. So, it might be gone soon.

Forgive me for sounding dumb...

Is the Old Castle sand "live" like the sand that you get at the LFS?

Is the Old Castle sand "live" like the sand that you get at the LFS?

The only diff is it's dry sand. no it won't be considered live sand but once you put it in your tank and seed it with live rock or live sand from a friend it will become live sand. HTH

Back
Top Bottom