It's so on now - 72g Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a Beauty... My wife got me a 72 Bow Front for Fathers day... So I'll be Plumbing that boy up pretty soon and making my transfer from my 55 to 72... I'll be in the apartment for a few years so That's the biggest I could get until I move again.. But can't wait to get my going thanks for the update. (y)

Amazing, Neil, simply amazing.

I'm curious about why you think you'd prefer the black? I really like the blue, but I bet you have good reasons, so just wondering about your thoughts.

Nice full tank shot. If only you can get that yellow tang to slow down.

yeah, he's a quick little bugger.

I'd go black because it would allow the powerheads, overflow box, and CL returns to kinda fade away and be less of an eyesore.

Mmmm, Seaweed (use homer's voice, its funnier that way)

IMG_3361.JPG

you're right. homer's voice is funnier than mine. :clown:
you could pop a couple Ritalin pills in the tank. that might slow the tang down. lol (THE PREVIOUS STATEMENT WAS A JOKE. DO NOT USE ANY DRUGS FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE INTENDED USE)

you're right. homer's voice is funnier than mine. :clown:
you could pop a couple Ritalin pills in the tank. that might slow the tang down. lol (THE PREVIOUS STATEMENT WAS A JOKE. DO NOT USE ANY DRUGS FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE INTENDED USE)
Actually I believe Ritalin is essentially speed, it only slows down people with adhd it has the opposite effect on "normal" people. Or maybe I'm getting confused with it's effect on children, any who end mindless rant.

So, I've been dosing 2-part for a while now, and I'm actually seeing good results. Corals are brighter, coralline is growing faster (which has pros and cons of it's own), but there's a downside. The dosing. I hate it, I really do. Some days I forget, sometimes I'll dose 1 of the elements then go to do the second and forget which one I already did. etc etc. Anyways, on my FW Planted tank, I setup autodosers for ferts. It seems like it took me way to long to get to this point on this tank.

Last week I ordered pumps from ReefChili (aka BRS) on ebay. I bought 2 of the 1.2ml/min barebones pumps. Got them in, wired up a plug and did some testing. We're all set to go.

Here's the pumps on my "mounting plate." I had extra egg crate laying around, it worked well, so why not use it.
IMG_3575.JPG

I drilled 4 holes into one of the support 2x4s in the stand, and used zip ties to hold it in place.
IMG_3579.JPG

This is the same timer I use for my planted tank's dosers. 2 outlet digital timer with 1 minute resolution. It allows for 8 separate programs, too. This allows me to dose in increments throughout the day, instead of all at once.
IMG_3582.JPG

Here's the pumps all plumbed in
IMG_3585.JPG

Here's the whole system. 2-part jugs at the bottom, pumps on top right, and you can follow the tubing to the outlets
IMG_3583.JPG

And finally, the outlets. These drip at a little less than 1 drip per second
IMG_3589.JPG

Here's a little 12-second preview of the system running. I don't know how to embed video, so you'll just have to use the link. 19.5M
Dosing Video

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Not sure it's safe/good idea to dose them simultanously and so close together. Any issues with this? I'm currently running both pumps off the 1 timer. Could easily get another, but that's another outlet that I don't have. lol

Thoughts?

Well so far so good

Consistency is key it seems. My alk is up to 10, my Ca is 440. If it stays right there, I think I've hit the sweet spot.

Best part is - "I" don't have to do anything. So nice!

Back
Top Bottom