It's Time to Start Thinking About Aquascaping & Theming Our 60 Gallon Goldie Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somebody has used window frosting on his tank and it looks really awesome, I can't find a picture now though...
You could do a black background, or a mirror.
I just thought of a mirror, but I bet it would be nice!

Hi Fish!

Thanks for your suggestions; I'm not sure about a mirror or the frosted background, but we're definitely considering black to bring out the colors of the orange goldfish and the Red Cap Oranda...(y)

Just found a neat sunken ship decoration on the Drs. Foster and Smith website. It comes in three pieces and a couple sizes. Have you seen this one yet?

Aquarium decorations and ornaments: Zanusa Aquatics Sunken Galleon at Foster & Smith Aquatics

They also have a sunken plane wreck, which I think is even cooler.

Hi Alyxx!

Yes, I've seen this one; thank you for the link! I think I've seen pretty much every shipwreck piece of decor that's out there online, and if I went this route with the theme, I am caught between this one you cite in the link, the one that "Kim" from this thread has in her tank (from Petco) or perhaps one of the ones with the red and white stripes that I provided pictures of; I didn't really care for the striped sail-endowed ships as I thought they were rather "chidish" and "ameteurish" looking, but that last one I provided pics of, especially in those guys' tanks, really caught my eye...

What do you think?

Oh -- I don't really care for the "suken planes" or "sunken World War II submarines" as cool as it sounds on paper...

Hi Alyxx!

Yes, I've seen this one; thank you for the link! I think I've seen pretty much every shipwreck piece of decor that's out there online, and if I went this route with the theme, I am caught between this one you cite in the link, the one that "Kim" from this thread has in her tank (from Petco) or perhaps one of the ones with the red and white stripes that I provided pictures of; I didn't really care for the striped sail-endowed ships as I thought they were rather "chidish" and "ameteurish" looking, but that last one I provided pics of, especially in those guys' tanks, really caught my eye...

What do you think?

I'm not fond of the striped sails, myself. I like the more broken, realistic ships. Also, have you considered building a model pirate ship and treating it to be safe underwater? I remember reading about someone who did this with an airplane model here on the forum maybe a year or so ago. If I remember correctly he built it, put some "wreck" holes in it, then coated it in some kind of epoxy to make it safe.

I'm not fond of the striped sails, myself. I like the more broken, realistic ships.

Thank you for your honest candor; however, the striped sailed ships are broken in two pieces as well...they're still not doing anything for you?:cool:

Also, have you considered building a model pirate ship and treating it to be safe underwater? I remember reading about someone who did this with an airplane model here on the forum maybe a year or so ago. If I remember correctly he built it, put some "wreck" holes in it, then coated it in some kind of epoxy to make it safe.

Hmmmm...no never considered that...

Perhaps something like a model of the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean?.....:brows:

Thank you for your honest candor; however, the striped sailed ships are broken in two pieces as well...they're still not doing anything for you?:cool:

Hmmmm...no never considered that...

Perhaps something like a model of the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean?.....:brows:

It's not so much the striped sails as much as the fact that it has sails/the sails aren't thin or cloth like. Not very accurate for a wrecked ship to still have full sails, and they don't look "real" enough for me. The Black Pearl could be cool, or any famous pirate ship (or merchant ship, or military ship - a sunken battleship would be cool). I'm a bit partial to the good ol' Queen Anne's Revenge. I'm sure there are plenty to choose from and you can alter it to look exactly like you want. And you can break it up as much as you would like.

Let me chew on that; thanks...

Let me know if you have any further thoughts/ideas...(y)

Here's a pic I came across of someone who had the EXACT same Marineland tank as me and who did a "pirate" theme; what do you think?

images

Looks pretty cool.

Here's the thing about this setup though: That ship in the center is the "Top Fin Schooner Bow" Petsmart used to sell, and which I had as the centerpiece of my last tank, but it's been discontinued...further, I had the same "pirate treasure cave" you see off on the RIGHT there too, as well as the skull...

This Schooner Bow piece had the white cloth sails but they got LOADED with brown and green algae like it was nobody's business; really yucky looking...

Do you still stick to the more "broken up Spanish Galleon" pieces, Alyxx?

Here's the thing about this setup though: That ship in the center is the "Top Fin Schooner Bow" Petsmart used to sell, and which I had as the centerpiece of my last tank, but it's been discontinued...further, I had the same "pirate treasure cave" you see off on the left there too, as well as the skull...

This Schooner Bow piece had the white cloth sails but they got LOADED with brown and green algae like it was nobody's business; really yucky looking...

Do you still stick to the more "broken up Spanish Galleon" pieces, Alyxx?

I do really like the look of broken shipwreck pieces because they look more realistic plus give lots of exploring space for the fish, but I really like the cloth sails for their realism. Although I'm sure they do get pretty dirty... Although that adds to the realism in my mind. As for it being discontinued, have you tried looking at eBay or on Craigslist?

I do really like the look of broken shipwreck pieces because they look more realistic plus give lots of exploring space for the fish, but I really like the cloth sails for their realism. Although I'm sure they do get pretty dirty... Although that adds to the realism in my mind. As for it being discontinued, have you tried looking at eBay or on Craigslist?

I am not sure if I want to go with "used" decor from someone else's tank because, to me, I am uncertain of what may have been in that tank exactly -- it could have been yanked out of a bacterial infection, like my older tank had, and I would never know...

That being said, HERE is the ship Petsmart replaced that Schooner with; what do you think?

pPETS-8371142dt.jpg

To be honest, it doesn't really...I don't know..."do it" for me; it seems really small, even in the store, and I think there's something about it that's not quite as fetching as the other ships we've been discussing...how do you feel?

I am not sure if I want to go with "used" decor from someone else's tank because, to me, I am uncertain of what may have been in that tank exactly -- it could have been yanked out of a bacterial infection, like my older tank had, and I would never know...

That being said, HERE is the ship Petsmart replaced that Schooner with; what do you think?

To be honest, it doesn't really...I don't know..."do it" for me; it seems really small, even in the store, and I think there's something about it that's not quite as fetching as the other ships we've been discussing...how do you feel?

Yeah, that one looks small and the sails look like they were put on by a three year old, lol. Doesn't do it for me either. And I was thinking more along the lines of finding an unused one on eBay, maybe from a seller who bought a lot of them when they were discontinued. And if you found a used one, there's not much a nice soak in bleach wouldn't solve. Just rinse well, then give it a soak in water with extra prime. Let it dry in the sun for a day or two just to be sure.

Yeah, that one looks small and the sails look like they were put on by a three year old, lol. Doesn't do it for me either.

Agreed...(y)

So, we're going to move beyond this ship for consideration, yes?

LOL...

UPDATE:

Finally picked this Bonsai piece up for the tank which I was eyeballing for some time (if this Asian/Zen theme gets scrapped, I'll just have to take the $20 loss for this piece):

pPETS-8371162dt.jpg

This is in an attempt, as explained in this thread, to "Asian up" the stone bridge piece we have in the tank now, which looks like this:

pPETS-3761582dt.jpg

I'm thinking of placing the Bonsai tree to one of the sides of the bridge, as suggested by Convict, but because of the way the tree "reaches" with its arms and the way it's supposed to face, it looks like it's going to have to go to the RIGHT of the bridge, which wasn't Convict's original idea...

I haven't put the tree in yet, as I'm waiting to do my 50% water change on the tank tomorrow when enough water will be removed so I can get deep into the bottom and place the new piece of decor, but I wanted some input regarding this tree from all y'all, and what you thought of continuing this "Asian/Zen" setup for the fancy goldie tank...

I'll post pics as soon as the tree is in -- but can you give me some feedback on the idea of placing the tree to the side of the bridge? Is this "better" than going with a sunken shipwreck setup?

Personally I like the zen look for the goldfish better than the shipwreck, myself. Although this is coming from a girl who kept her bedroom in a zen theme for most of jr high and high school. Also, does the tree look ok if you rotated it 180 degrees? Then it would reach in the other direction like was originally planned.

Personally I like the zen look for the goldfish better than the shipwreck, myself. Although this is coming from a girl who kept her bedroom in a zen theme for most of jr high and high school. Also, does the tree look ok if you rotated it 180 degrees? Then it would reach in the other direction like was originally planned.

Hey Alexx,

Thanks so much for the reply; was hoping you'd contribute with your thoughts...:cool:;)

Are you sure about your feelings on the Zen over shipwreck thing? Because you originally had found me some Fosters & Smith three-piece decoration which suggested to me you liked the ship theme...do you feel the Zen/Asian thing more, really?

As for the tree, I wanted to rotate it completely around as you suggest, as that way the "arm" would extend out away from the bridge and then I could put it on the LEFT side of it -- however, doing that puts a big design detail, a "tree root knot" that's in the front of the tree, towards the back and out of sight which doesn't bother me but for some reason is rubbing my wife the wrong way...:rolleyes::banghead:

I can put it in and play with it, then take some snaps to show you guys for some further input...

In the meantime, do you like the Bonsai tree? Do you see it going next to the bridge? And, do you agree it should be placed to the LEFT side of the bridge rather than the right?

Hey Alexx,

Thanks so much for the reply; was hoping you'd contribute with your thoughts...:cool:;)

Are you sure about your feelings on the Zen over shipwreck thing? Because you originally had found me some Fosters & Smith three-piece decoration which suggested to me you liked the ship theme...do you feel the Zen/Asian thing more, really?

As for the tree, I wanted to rotate it completely around as you suggest, as that way the "arm" would extend out away from the bridge and then I could put it on the LEFT side of it -- however, doing that puts a big design detail, a "tree root knot" that's in the front of the tree, towards the back and out of sight which doesn't bother me but for some reason is rubbing my wife the wrong way...:rolleyes::banghead:

I can put it in and play with it, then take some snaps to show you guys for some further input...

In the meantime, do you like the Bonsai tree? Do you see it going next to the bridge? And, do you agree it should be placed to the LEFT side of the bridge rather than the right?

Let's just say the pirate theme is my second favorite. But especially for goldfish I think the zen theme is the best. Very peaceful, and it highlights the heritage of the fish.

Ah, of course there is something nice that would be at the back if you turned it around. It's like the companies that make these things want you to put it in one way and one way only. Annoying, isn't it? I think some pictures of different arrangements would help us all out. I don't see too much of a problem with rearranging things from the original idea, though. Also, have you tried using the part of the tree that reaches out to "shade" the bridge? That could look pretty cool, I think.

Let's just say the pirate theme is my second favorite. But especially for goldfish I think the zen theme is the best. Very peaceful, and it highlights the heritage of the fish.

Thank you very much for your honest sentiments; I think you are beginning to sell me on the Zen setup...:D :huh:

Of course, in a new house or something, or the next time we set this tank back up, we could always switch up the theme to the shipwreck (or natural/Greek ruins/castles whatever) couldn't we?

Ah, of course there is something nice that would be at the back if you turned it around. It's like the companies that make these things want you to put it in one way and one way only. Annoying, isn't it?

Indeed; with the Asian gazebo piece, which sits on the right side of the tank and looks like this:

800443112410c.jpg

...you can see where in the demo picture they place the gazebo in a certain position so that the attached plant is towards the back with that "rock" formation that also comes with it...for the longest time, I had such a hard time getting this piece just right and I had to move it to nearly how they (Petco) show it here, as in the other positions my wife said she couldn't see one of our fish who likes to swim in and out of it (a small but growing common orange fantail named "GoldieHawn") actually swimming through it from her angle on her recliner...:banghead:

I think some pictures of different arrangements would help us all out. I don't see too much of a problem with rearranging things from the original idea, though.

Indeed; I will try and get some pictures soon...

Also, have you tried using the part of the tree that reaches out to "shade" the bridge? That could look pretty cool, I think.

And yes, I have indeed considered that too -- that is, the tree positioned so that it's "hovering over" or branching out above the bridge...the thing is, as cool as this sounds on paper, that may take away some swimming space as a couple of the larger fancies in our tank (namely the growing Black Moor, "Ebony") like to peck along the curve of the bridge as if they're "crossing" it...really cute to watch, but I'm afraid with the branch of the tree, they won't be able to do that anymore so well if that "arm" reaches over to "shade" the bridge...

Do you see what I mean -- and your thoughts?:thanks:

Thank you very much for your honest sentiments; I think you are beginning to sell me on the Zen setup...:D :huh:

Of course, in a new house or something, or the next time we set this tank back up, we could always switch up the theme to the shipwreck (or natural/Greek ruins/castles whatever) couldn't we?

Indeed; with the Asian gazebo piece, which sits on the right side of the tank and looks like this:

...you can see where in the demo picture they place the gazebo in a certain position so that the attached plant is towards the back with that "rock" formation that also comes with it...for the longest time, I had such a hard time getting this piece just right and I had to move it to nearly how they (Petco) show it here, as in the other positions my wife said she couldn't see one of our fish who likes to swim in and out of it (a small but growing common orange fantail named "GoldieHawn") actually swimming through it from her angle on her recliner...:banghead:

Indeed; I will try and get some pictures soon...

And yes, I have indeed considered that too -- that is, the tree positioned so that it's "hovering over" or branching out above the bridge...the thing is, as cool as this sounds on paper, that may take away some swimming space as a couple of the larger fancies in our tank (namely the growing Black Moor, "Ebony") like to peck along the curve of the bridge as if they're "crossing" it...really cute to watch, but I'm afraid with the branch of the tree, they won't be able to do that anymore so well if that "arm" reaches over to "shade" the bridge...

Do you see what I mean -- and your thoughts?:thanks:

First off, Goldie Hawn is quite possibly the best goldfish name I have ever heard. Seriously, that is awesome.

And yes, you could change it at any point, really. Nothing is set in stone. And are you sure you shouldn't just give your wife artistic control and save yourself a headache? LOL.
Hmm, I'm trying to think of a way to give the appearance of a shaded bridge while maintaining swimming space. I'm thinking it could be done using forced perspective but I can't be sure until I can see both of the pieces in the tank to get a feel for their sizes in proportion to one another. Depending on their sizes you may be able to build the gravel up a bit in the back of the tank and put the tree behind the bridge in a way that from at least some angles it looks like it is over the bridge.

First off, Goldie Hawn is quite possibly the best goldfish name I have ever heard. Seriously, that is awesome.

LOL...my wife came up with that one...:)

And yes, you could change it at any point, really. Nothing is set in stone. And are you sure you shouldn't just give your wife artistic control and save yourself a headache? LOL.

Alyxx...I think I'm already there...:nono:

Hmm, I'm trying to think of a way to give the appearance of a shaded bridge while maintaining swimming space. I'm thinking it could be done using forced perspective but I can't be sure until I can see both of the pieces in the tank to get a feel for their sizes in proportion to one another. Depending on their sizes you may be able to build the gravel up a bit in the back of the tank and put the tree behind the bridge in a way that from at least some angles it looks like it is over the bridge.

Understood; let me chew on it...maybe I will do the 50% water change today rather than tomorrow (can never hurt, right?) so that way I can get into the tank while the water is low and insert the tree (otherwise it's just too difficult to get into this ridiculously tall tank when the water is nearly full)...

Back
Top Bottom