It's Time to Start Thinking About Aquascaping & Theming Our 60 Gallon Goldie Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And, then there's this Penn-Plax "moving" air ornament thing that I don't know about:

UPDATE:

So I just finished a 50% water change on the tank and did a bit of adjustment with the layout (decor), but I still don't know how this "Asian/Zen" theme is looking or coming along...:blink: :nono:

I really like the idea of the sunken ship --like in Kim's tank seen above -- but I also like the castle idea (being joined by the bridge I already have) and I'm uncertain if I should just continue with the Zen thing because we're halfway there...:blink::blink::blink::ermm::huh:

I think you should do what YOU want. Make it unique in its own way. Maybe mix the two?

Or... Go a whole different route and make it as natural as good be.

Don't want real plants? They have really nice silk plants. Add some driftwood and rocks and make it look like the bottom of a pond.

I like natural as you know. This whole theme thing isn't my cup of tea and with bouncing back and forth more then the Williams sisters at a tennis match. You might fall in love with the natural look. Google images of natural gold fish tank setups and let me know what you REALLY think.

:)

The natural scape for this particular setup is out of the question; maybe the next one (which is why I'm holding on to the tree stump piece in case we can incorporate it somehow in a "natural" theme) but for now it has to be the Zen, Castle or possibly Ship...

And...I have indeed Googled images of goldfish tanks with natural setups/real plants, etc.; they look stunning, no doubt -- but as much as I like the natural look (and I do, believe me), for this setup, we're going to do more of a theme...

How's the snow over there, Dino? You guys gettin' socked hard? :eek: :nono: :blink:

Nah... Wasn't too bad. But enough to get OT!!

So... I gotta say, because I'm more of a natural type of fish guy, and in keeping with natural. Now that you've thrown in the hip wreck theme. I'm leanings towards that.

Under water Zen is cool don't get me wrong and so is the castle theme. However the shipwreck theme still can be somewhat natural of that makes sense.

You see, ship wrecks happen, ships sink, so... Fish swimming at the bottom of the ocean would be swimming through wreckage. So of say the shipwreck theme has somewhat peeked my interest.

Nah... Wasn't too bad. But enough to get OT!!

Boy am I glad I don't live up there anymore, especially given the last few winters the east coast has had...:nono: :eek:

So... I gotta say, because I'm more of a natural type of fish guy, and in keeping with natural. Now that you've thrown in the hip wreck theme. I'm leanings towards that.

Under water Zen is cool don't get me wrong and so is the castle theme. However the shipwreck theme still can be somewhat natural of that makes sense.

You see, ship wrecks happen, ships sink, so... Fish swimming at the bottom of the ocean would be swimming through wreckage. So of say the shipwreck theme has somewhat peeked my interest.

Now that's what I'm talkin about...(y) I too was thinkin' of somehow doing a "natural shipwreck" kind of thing -- because, as you say, shipwrecks "happen" under water, though I do prefer more of a slightly goofy "pirate wreck" theme -- but this would involve scrapping what we have in place now already and buying AT LEAST $100 worth of shipwreck pieces...:banghead:

Let's take one step at a time: Did you get a chance to take a look at Kim's tank some posts above? She/he's got the Petco "sunken gardens shipwreck" Galleon pieces with plants all around it plus some skulls and treasure decor; what did you make of that?

You don't make much of this, do you? :rolleyes:

action-air-split-shipwreck-aquarium-ornament.jpg

Haha you know me don't ya. Too cartoony

Yeah; I figured as much...;)

I didn't make much of it, either...

Any thoughts on the "motion bubbler" action feature this is supposed to have? Apparently, this thing, when hooked up to an airline and pump, is supposed to "rock" back and forth or some such rhetoric...:rolleyes:

Yeah; I figured as much...;)

I didn't make much of it, either...

Any thoughts on the "motion bubbler" action feature this is supposed to have? Apparently, this thing, when hooked up to an airline and pump, is supposed to "rock" back and forth or some such rhetoric...:rolleyes:

Again not my cup of tea. Bottom line it's what you like not me :)

I can just help as much as I can... I don't mind by the way. I may crack jokes along the way but I enjoy designing and aqua scaping and to be honest I hope to one day have a business doing so.

Again not my cup of tea. Bottom line it's what you like not me :)

Well, if you weren't getting my sarcasm with the ":rolleyes:" reference, I thought it was kind of silly and childish as well; just wanted to know your take on it...

I can just help as much as I can... I don't mind by the way. I may crack jokes along the way but I enjoy designing and aqua scaping and to be honest I hope to one day have a business doing so.

I totally understand and appreciate the input and help -- that's why I ask you questions about it! I am truly taking it all in and considering everyone's input; you are indeed helping by giving me your opinions...

That's a great idea for a business, especially if you have a passion for it -- do you think aquascaping is viable in this economy though? Do you think many people would opt for a service like that? Just askin' because there were plenty of things me and my wife considered doing as a business but it just wouldn't be economically viable -- example: I have a passion for audio equipment and home theater gear, and I came up with a great name for a stereo shop the other day: STEREOTYPE! However, I woke up from my dream when I realized everyone listens to MP3 files now, not high-end CD players, stereo receivers, preamps and amps, and that a store like this would just NEVER go over in current times...:nono:

Wouldn't be my main source of income for one and yeah!! I think there are people that may want a service like that. I know a lot of people from being in the fire service, that have beautiful tanks and all they do is look at them. Someone else built it, scaped it etc.

I'd offer one on one cycling help, aqua scaping etc. it's just a thought right now.

Wouldn't be my main source of income for one and yeah!! I think there are people that may want a service like that. I know a lot of people from being in the fire service, that have beautiful tanks and all they do is look at them. Someone else built it, scaped it etc.

I'd offer one on one cycling help, aqua scaping etc. it's just a thought right now.

Okay, well, hey -- if you think it would work, and you'd find customers on a routine basis to support the business expenses (you did indicate that it would be a second form of income, so that may work), something me and my wife looked into extensively already (and that is after owning a "creative writing service" business of our own for a little while), then all the power to you!

I know that the things that interest me, unfortunately, and which I have a personal passion for and knowledge in, just cannot be considered viable for income from a business...:(

Pirate theme

I've been following this thread for a while but have not made any replies but I thought now would be a good time!:) ok so first of all I think that of the themes that you have as an option the natural shipwreck is the way to go. For Christmas I got a brand new 55 gallon and of course when my grandparents heard that I was into fish tanks for Christmas they got me a replica of a 'sunken English man o war' along with a castle. When I got this tank I knew I wanted to do a natural planted tank but now I have a castle and a ship to incorporate and once I did i think that after a few months of growing in I think that it looks great with my plants growing almost a jungle around them and it actually looks pretty good so I say that you should go for the natural ship wreck look and don't look back! Make it how you want it and you can't go wrong!:ROFLMAO:

I've been following this thread for a while but have not made any replies but I thought now would be a good time!:) ok so first of all I think that of the themes that you have as an option the natural shipwreck is the way to go. For Christmas I got a brand new 55 gallon and of course when my grandparents heard that I was into fish tanks for Christmas they got me a replica of a 'sunken English man o war' along with a castle. When I got this tank I knew I wanted to do a natural planted tank but now I have a castle and a ship to incorporate and once I did i think that after a few months of growing in I think that it looks great with my plants growing almost a jungle around them and it actually looks pretty good so I say that you should go for the natural ship wreck look and don't look back! Make it how you want it and you can't go wrong!:ROFLMAO:

Hey, Cowboys!

Thanks so much for your input; much appreciated! Do you have any pics of your tank to share so I can get an idea of a ship/castle hybrid theme? :thanks:

Also, Cowboys -- I understand what you're saying about the "natural shipwreck" thing, but what about the fact that we were kind of in the middle of doing the Zen/Asian layout with the gazebo and bridge and Bonsai trees to come? Being that the bridge and gazebo wouldn't work for the ship theme, and that I already purchased these items, do you think there's some justification in thinking we should just soldier on with the Asian thing and maybe save the pirate/castles for another setup?:hide:

Okay, ladies and gents...have a look of some of THESE videos, which feature the castle ideas I had as well as some shipwreck themes...

First, take a look at this goldfish tank with the SAME Petsmart bridge that's in our tank now (but they didn't go with a "Zen" theme):

Aqueon 36 Gallon Goldfish Aquarium - YouTube

A fancy goldfish tank with a CASTLE:

Harry Potter inspired Goldfish aquarium - YouTube

A CHICHLID tank with the massive CASTLE pieces from Petco:

55 Gallon Castle Cichlid Tank 01 - YouTube

Another FANCY GOLDFISH tank with a complete CASTLE setup (too much in my opinion):

kingdom under the sea :p - YouTube

Another gorgeous CHICHLID tank with the Petco CASTLE pieces:

Castle Cichlid Tank 02 - YouTube

Another setup with the CASTLE:

Aquarium with Castle - YouTube

GOLDFISH with the CASTLES:

90gl Fish tank kingdom - YouTube

Okay...some PIRATE themed tanks; this first one is a bit too childish for me, but I appreciate his "Pirates of the Caribbean" thing going on in the background:

Me Pirate Tank - Yarrrr! - YouTube

Now THIS person is using the same exact "schooner bow wreck" I had in my last tank as a centerpiece, but which Petsmart discontinued; just to get an idea of another tank using it:

Updated 55 gallon pirate theme aquarium tropical non agressive - YouTube

You can see where the brown algae completely took over the sails, which it did in my tank as well...

Here's one that's a bit too "busy" for me:

Pirate shipwrecked fish tank Aquarium.... - YouTube

And, of course, this 220 gallon DISCUS tank always gets me, with the massive SPANISH GALLEON wreck:

Astounding 220G Pirate Shipwreck Discus Aquarium - YouTube

And again -- here's that Petsmart ship that was discontinued that I had:

New Fish Tank Decorations & Plants - YouTube

And -- here is an Asian-themed tank someone did, complete with the Petsmart dragon bubbler, the Great Wall of China decor and more:

My 40 Gallon Asian Themed Aquarium - Great Wall of China - YouTube

Here's another CHINESE-themed aquarium with TROPICALS:

Chinese theme aquarium 200 litre - YouTube

THIS one's pretty crazy; a 150 gallon ASIAN-THEMED:

150 gallon freshwater fish tank - YouTube

Another ASIAN-themed tank with the BONSAI trees we're considering:

Oriental / Asian Theme Freshwater Aquarium Fish Tank - YouTube

Now THIS one, for something a bit different, features what the owner calls an "Asian-themed" tank, yet it contains that massive "tree stump" decoration I had in the tank previously but which I yanked out because most here said it did NOT flow with Zen/Asian:

My New 25 gallon asian aquarium - YouTube

These are just to give you all, who have been assisting me with this ongoing project, ideas as to what people have done with some of the themes I am considering; if you could look at these links at your leisure and when you have free time, I would appreciate any feedback you can give me. As always, :thanks:

Also...please keep in mind that the CASTLE setups were the ones that were most important to me in terms of showing you what these pieces can do or look like in an aquarium...

Further -- if we did the castle theme, I was thinking of getting two of the medium-sized pieces (not the ones that take up the whole tank -- I've seen those too; they're ridiculously massive) and having them "joined" in the middle of the tank by that bridge we have now:
pPETS-3761582dt.jpg

So, THAT bridge would go between two of THESE pieces, which are not as expensive as the ones you see in the videos above that look like real-life-models of Disneyland, LOL:

030172027291D.jpg

030172027291C.jpg

Which I think would look mega-cool...the rest of the tank would be done up in all kinds of plants surrounding the castle pieces and the bridge, behind, to the side and to the rear...

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom