Iwagumi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aidanflower

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my first iwagumi build and its on a mr aqua 12 gallon long. I just put this together 2 days ago and its just a start. Tell me what you guys think an suggestions are always welcome, thanks.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399475032.390007.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399475100.791748.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399475128.207615.jpg

Thanks, dwarf tears. I havnt ordered them so it could always change. Any suggestions?

Are you going co2, high light, dry ferts? The works? Dbt seem to be a tough plant to secure to substrate, they carpet beautifully though. Some dude on you tube has a good trick to getting them well planted in most substrates..

I am doing co2. I dont know about ferts. I will be doing some kind just havnt done much research on it. I guess its medium highish light. I know that its a very shallow tank but i also know that the current usa leds+ dont penetrate very well

Ferts will be a must if you want the finest of carpets.. How tall is the tank? At 10" I think the current will pull it's wieght.. Briannano12 will know much better.. Look into gla dry ferts.. It's what all the plantaholics around here use for dry ferts.. Cheap and effective!!

I have heard that they are a tough plant to get started. I am thinking about a wet start or what ever its called. Just wet the substrate, plant and keep the moisture high for a few weeks. This way they get a chance to root

I have heard that they are a tough plant to get started. I am thinking about a wet start or what ever its called. Just wet the substrate, plant and keep the moisture high for a few weeks. This way they get a chance to root
yup! Me too.. Yah than the flood;) I think that's the way to do it..

I am on gla right now and there prices seem great. The only thing is i have no clue what to get haha. Any info on what i need and what i dont

I was skeptical that they would over price the package but its only a few dollars more than buying separate. It also sugests i should buy a scale to measure the ferts. Is that necessary?

I was skeptical that they would over price the package but its only a few dollars more than buying separate. It also sugests i should buy a scale to measure the ferts. Is that necessary?
i think so yes, they have cheap digital scales on amazon..

You can get a digital food scale on Amazon for less than $10. If you get the PPS pro pack make sure you buy a spare (third) dosing bottle as it's recommended by many to split your nitrates into its own bottle. I'd imagine that at less than 6 inches the Current light should be fine, but yeah ferts will absolutely be necessary. If you go the no-water route look up DSM (dry start method). Lastly I'd recommend a background, either black or frosted like Bill's TOTM 12 long.

Great thanks for the info. I was planning to get a frosted background like bills thanks. Also is it neccesary to dose nitrates if there are already some nitrates in the water?

Also do you guys use a automatic dosing system or do you manually pour it in every day?

I manually dose both my planted tanks.. Fully automated dosing system is next on my DIY list..

Im looking at dosing pumps and systems and they really take a big chuck of cash

Back
Top Bottom