Jack Dempsey help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bec.187

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone I'm new here, have yet to edit intro and profile yet. I have some questions concerning my JD. I am planning to switch substrate in my 75gal from gravel to sand. At the same time I am moving the tank to a different room so everything has to come out. My concern is my JH though. The fish has been acting very afraid lately and I'm not sure why. Anytime it sees people it freaks out and hides. This started a few weeks ago and I've had this fish over a year. I want to know what your opinion is on the best way to do the transfer for this fish. I don't want to stress it.

My jack just recently started acting odd too. I walk in the room and the thing bounces off the walls then hides

That's exact'y what mine is doing. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. It hasn't lost its colors or appetite, just it's mind lol

Just yesterday switched friends uncared for tank at his business from gravel to sand with a single JD in there. It was beyond filthy I wish I took a pic. Removed all decor and gravel. Scoped whole tank. I couldn't even see back of tank water was so gross. The JD hid all the time. I did water change and cleaned filter and put new rocks in and in under 24 hrs the waters like glass and the sand really brought jacks color out and he's so much more active. Was 4 hr project but well worth it.

Dither fish of any sort doesn't last too long with my jack. I had a school of 5 large tiger barbs and they only lasted 3 days

I have just 2 big *** feeder fish that my jack didn't eat about 6 months ago and he hasn't ever been more happy in his 55gal...

image-815278307.jpg

Very nice fish :)
While we're kind of on the subject, can you guys give me advice on tank mates for my JD? I have a 75gal and he is all alone.

Just bigger fish than your jd's mouth ..lol I'm not sure exactly I just got two feeders he didn't eat and now they are way to big for him to eat....

Very nice fish :)
While we're kind of on the subject, can you guys give me advice on tank mates for my JD? I have a 75gal and he is all alone.

Tank mates are very hit or miss. I agree with the previous post but do be cautious.

Back
Top Bottom