Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sebastian2345

Aquarium Advice Regular
Could I keep a single jack dempsey and maybe a bottom feeder in a 37 gallon tank?

I wouldn't consider that a permanent home for one but that doesn't mean you can't keep one in a 37g until you can either upgrade the tank or re-home the fish when it get to large.

I have a female in a 40g with a male convict and they love it. I definitely wouldn't go below 40g though because of keeping water quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would a black convict, and firemouth cichlid work in a 37 gallon tank?

That would really depend on the individual temperament of the fish. The footprint of 12"L x 30"W x 22"H doesn't really allow for the needed territory of an aggressive fish as it may claim the entire tank for itself. I would look into a pair of smaller centrals like cryptoheros sajica, cutteri, or nanoluteus. Or if you like Archocentrus nigrofasciatus( convicts) then I would lean towards keeping a pair of females over a male and female as they fry are nearly worthless and you'll be overrun in no time.

Maybe not, they are mean but don't get to big. I'm sure HUKIT here has plenty of similarly aggressive fish that could work with them.

If I got convicts would it probably have to be a species only tank?

Yes, but as I mentioned I would keep two females as opposed to keeping a breeding pair or two males. Plus females generally have far better color and less testosterone than males too.

There are far better options than cons too.

27198-albums13418-picture63082.jpg

27198-albums9953-picture41002.jpg

27198-albums9583-picture56036.jpg

27198-albums1491-picture63114.jpg

Last edited:
They get Way to big for a 37.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really??? Swear I read somewhere a 30g min for them.. I'll go see if I can find where I saw it.

That was answered here.

Yes, but as I mentioned I would keep two females as opposed to keeping a breeding pair or two males. Plus females generally have far better color and less testosterone than males too.

There are far better options than cons too.

27198-albums13418-picture63082.jpg

27198-albums9953-picture41002.jpg

27198-albums9583-picture56036.jpg

27198-albums1491-picture63114.jpg

Really??? Swear I read somewhere a 30g min for them.. I'll go see if I can find where I saw it.

You may have seen a 30 listed as min but a 30 has a larger foot print than a 37. A 37 is just a 29 but taller. I say a 40b min. I had 3 in a 55 for a short time when my 75 cracked and they seemd cramped.

That's what it was. Mixed it up with the Green Severum. liveaquaria says 30g min for a green surprisingly.

Back
Top Bottom