Jaguar cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello. I have a 250 gallon tank that has:
3 Australian salmontail catfish
2 mated synspilum
1 Oscar
1 jack Dempsey
1 Texas
4 silver dollars
2 archerfish.

Currently at my local fish store they have a jaguar cichlid that is in a tank with some Texas, Australian salmontail catfish, featherfin catfish, convicts, blue eye cichlids, and some melanaurus as well as a black belt. The jaguar seems to be beat up and is probably the most peaceful jaguar I've ever seen and I was wondering if it could work in my tank was thinking of getting it as its fins are a fair bit beat up) The salmontail catfish will be moved once they are too big ( within the next year or so)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Speaking from experience with a breeding pair of jags it's best left out of that tank, but I could be wrong....females might do ok but if it's a male and you have any female in the tank than your looking at all your fish on one side of the tank, very very aggressive behavior. Mine once swallowed a needle nose gar from tail to mouth and still chased every fish with the gar still in his mouth, but a 250 might be different.

You probably need a different opinion on this.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The synspilum haven't bothered any other fish except for when the Oscar Texas and jack were new. They also haven't breed for me. They were sold to me as s breeding pair though they seem to mostly mind their own business

One big jag needs 125 plus tank size keep that in mind

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello. I have a 250 gallon tank that has:
3 Australian salmontail catfish
2 mated synspilum
1 Oscar
1 jack Dempsey
1 Texas
4 silver dollars
2 archerfish.

Currently at my local fish store they have a jaguar cichlid that is in a tank with some Texas, Australian salmontail catfish, featherfin catfish, convicts, blue eye cichlids, and some melanaurus as well as a black belt. The jaguar seems to be beat up and is probably the most peaceful jaguar I've ever seen and I was wondering if it could work in my tank was thinking of getting it as its fins are a fair bit beat up) The salmontail catfish will be moved once they are too big ( within the next year or so)

Hmmm. Tricky eh?

Jags, I'm sure you know, are big, mean, greedy machines!

At adult size, Oscars, And JDs are no match. If the Synspilum bred they could take on the Jag, Syns are tough and big too.

Just because you see the Jag being beat up doesn't mean anything. At my LFS, a few years ago, i saw a Texas of about 6" beating up a Red Devil of 7.5". Bought the RD in hopes it was peaceful. Put it in my 75 with the O that used to be in there. 35 minutes later, Oscar missing part of his tail, and a bunch of scales. The RD spent the night in a 10 gal and went back next day. What you see isn't always what you'll get.

Personally, no. The Jag gets big, and will fight. A bunch. 90% sure that it will kill the O and the JD at some point. Maybe the Syns as well. It will try to claim everything it can. These are one of the single mist aggressive cichlids available from SA/CA. Red Devils, Umbee, Dovii, and sometimes Flowerhorns are the only fish that really have a shot at living.

Also, just because the Syns were supposed to be a pair... The LFS often put what looks to be a make and female together, slap on a big price tag, and try to sell it as a mated pair.

So yeah, unless you are willing to restock a bit, (the O would almost surely have to go) i wouldnt suggest a Jag.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom