java fern, yes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are java ferns as hardy as most people say? I have a 55gal. Cichlid tank and would like to do plants for obvious reasons like decreased nitrates, and just overall looks. Cichlids r rough on everything in their path! Lol. So I'd like something easy and rugged that grows with minimum lighting requirements. Any ideas?

If when you say cichlids you mean african cichlids, I think you may find that they will be too rough on your plants.

scott pierce said:
Are there any special lighting or substrate needed for either plant?

Neither will grow in the dark, but if there is enough light for any plant, either should be okay. They do better in good light, though, so try to give them more than the minimum needed for survival.

Neither has any substrate requirements. In fact, they don't need any substrate at all. The tubers don't like to be buried. You can attach them to rocks or driftwood and they will thrive. That's one of the reasons many like them in Cichlid tanks, as they won't be harmed when the Cichlids rearrange the gravel. They have tough leafs that can survive some abuse, too.

For what it's worth, Anubis does much better for me than Java Fern. It may have something to do with my local water, but the latter have struggled while the one Anubis I bought a couple of years ago has filled a 75, two 60’s and two 40’s.

I tie my Anubis and Java Ferns to small pieces of sinking driftwood and then set it and the plant into a clay flower pot filled with small gravel and let the roots grow into that works well for fertilizing.
Let me clearify by saying that nothing is buried just wood and plant on top of the gravel.

Any plants will need full spectrum light. What ever plants you try to have. Its possible that it will survive with out FSL, but there will be hit and miss. Go for low light plants

Anubias are a great choice. There are larger varieties if you have a big tank.

I have an Anubias and Java Ferns growing with just a lamp with a CFL. And I'm talking table lamp, not desk lamp aimed at the tank. I measured with a PAR meter and was surprised at how well the plants did with so little.

If you use a light near 6500K your plants will appreciate it. Beware, some are for Saltwater tanks. Avoid Actinic or 50/50 bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom