JD questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a few very small JD's when i bought them a few weeks ago in the lfs 's tank they were a very dark almost black color.. ever since they've been in my tank they have reverted to the lighter color that some of the other jd's were at the lfs..

i was wondering how i could get them to change back to that darker color because i heard they will change color based on their surroundings.

i also plan on reducing the number to 2. what if anything can live with them when they get bigger?

thanks,
Brandon

2612jr6.jpg

i had a grayish color jd and he was alot better looking than the black jd. he had red and blue trim on his fins, and he was super bright. he would eat allmost anything, he even ate a glass thermometer ( not good), he also had tons of personality. i really wouldnt worry about the color, he will look good when he gets older.
:)

i had a grayish color jd and he was alot better looking than the black jd. he had red and blue trim on his fins, and he was super bright. he would eat allmost anything, he even ate a glass thermometer ( not good), he also had tons of personality. i really wouldnt worry about the color, he will look good when he gets older.
:)

thanks for the response i cant wait til they get big!, how fast did yours grow if you can remember. they are all about the size as the one in the picture

They do that lol mine will get dark when they get mad at each other or their tankmates I have 1 that's well over a ft long (no kiddin) that stays dark and beautiful all the time

They do that lol mine will get dark when they get mad at each other or their tankmates I have 1 that's well over a ft long (no kiddin) that stays dark and beautiful all the time

what do you have in the tank with them?

3 JD
1 Buttikoff
1 FH
1 Texas
3 Convicts (with fry)
1 ACEI
1 Johanni
1 Albino Zebra
1 Large Common Pleco
3 tiny BN Pleco
1 tiny Albino Pleco
I have a Polleni (Black Diamond Cichlid) and a green terror n a grow out tank that I'm planning on adding to the mix when they get bigger

My JD was real light when I got it about 1 long but now its a lot bigger probably 5 inches and is real dark and beautiful

Mine was about 5 in when I got it and it took maybe 3 or 4 months to reach full size. IME jd's only are dark if the tank has dark substrate or when they are defending territory.

My JD wouldn't tolerate any other tankmates, was never dark, always stayed light, which makes sense, I had light surroundings. Mine took less than 6 months to be fully grown, never grew much after that. Great fish, always was very playful and interactive.

JD's take about a year to get to breeding age from newborn. They have a major growth spurt around a few months and then it slows way down. As far as the base coloration goes, surroundings and whether they are in breeding dress plays a big part.

thanks for all of the responses! and im looking at upgrading which is good because i fear they will be getting big here pretty soon and i like them alot

jacks are prob my favorite sa chichlid. it has the personality of an oscur, the colors of an african cichlid, and is smaller than oscurs. they are the perfect cichlid:).
have fun with ur jd ;)

jacks are prob my favorite sa chichlid. it has the personality of an oscur, the colors of an african cichlid, and is smaller than oscurs. they are the perfect cichlid:).
have fun with ur jd ;)

thanks they are my first big fish that ive got so it will be interesting

I love my JD's I feed them large pellet food, but I make them just about 4 or 5 inches out of the water to grab them out of my finger tips!

just a rough guess is all im looking for, but how old would these little guys be if they are about 1 1/2 inches long?andaso how long from birth until they get full grown

Flipmikeskater3 said:
I love my JD's I feed them large pellet food, but I make them just about 4 or 5 inches out of the water to grab them out of my finger tips!

Jump* not just lol!

I used to have a couple Africans with the Jds but the Jds bullied them too much now I have them with convicts cichlids, they all get along now

Back
Top Bottom