Jelly like stuff on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had the driftwood in my 10 gal tank for about 4 and there's a jelly looking stuff on it. There's a lot so I was wondering what to do with it and what it is?

I would always boil my bogwood, more to get rid of tannins than anything else. The only time I didn't boil was on a piece of redmoor root which ended up getting what you have. I would take it out and place in a large pot and boil for a while, this should help remove any spores that are in it. If you don't have a pot big enough, place it in a sink or bath and pour boiling water over it, not as good but should help.

I wish I woulda known that earlier. My tank is so dark because of the tannis. I hate it. But thanks a lot I'll get right on that. How long should it be boiling for?

I am getting this on my mopani wood. At least in the case of the mopani, it is a fungus that will be eventually displaced by a bacteria film and/or algae.

It's a fungus or mold, your water and temperature are probably perfect for it to grow. Boil your driftwood, it will kill anything and everything growing on that piece of wood.

Back
Top Bottom