Jessica's 55g build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AndrewsPistol said:
Yep, just googled it. Syndontis Multipunctatus or Cuckoo catfish... Definitely not upside down :(

Oh there cute! I have one. Hardly see him though. Feeding time he swims all over the tank like crazy!! Fast too!

View attachment 85293

Last edited by a moderator:
Convict2161 said:
Oh there cute! I have one. Hardly see him though. Feeding time he swims all over the tank like crazy!! Fast too!

Mine looks like that but with bigger more sporadic spots, he is kinda big too :)

And he only comes out at night! Kinda worry about him getting food... My guys leave no leftovers what so ever! What could I do?

AndrewsPistol said:
And he only comes out at night! Kinda worry about him getting food... My guys leave no leftovers what so ever! What could I do?

There's little pieces here and there he will find. Dont worry and if there isnt he will come out during feeding when hungry.

Malawi Freak said:
There's little pieces here and there he will find. Dont worry and if there isnt he will come out during feeding when hungry.

Alright thanks! Idk y I stress so much about everyone not getting enough :/

See that dark guy? What the heck is he? Starting to change color like crazy! I'll see if I can find an old pic of what it used to look like. Posted a thread awhile back n ppl seemed to think it was an empress but I'm leaning more towards peacock... Sorry for the terrible quality, ill pull out the Lumix in lil bit :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120327_142828.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120327_142828.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 54
So nervous to do a wc today! Dont want n e one else to get banged up! :hide:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 52
I feed my catfish after lights out.Works for me.

Maybe I will look into some sinking pellets. I did get a free sample from AngelsPlus when I ordered my active filters and those sink, but there is no nutritional information on the package and that makes me hesitant.

AndrewsPistol said:
Maybe I will look into some sinking pellets. I did get a free sample from AngelsPlus when I ordered my active filters and those sink, but there is no nutritional information on the package and that makes me hesitant.

There in your goody package ;)

AndrewsPistol said:
There you are!!! You must be busy at work today :) Awesome! Thank you Mister :)

Sure no problem.... Glad to help! I usually drop in a bunch at night after lights out.

Off topic and chit chat posts have been deleted. Please remain on topic. AA is not a Facebook wall. If you would like to chit chat, that's fine- we have a chat room available for members who are logged in on a computer.

Don't feed your Africans bloodworms ever IMO. Brine shrimp is ok like once a week as a treat. Your putting them at risk for bloat.

+1 on the bloodworm.It contains too much protein for Africans and can be harmful to them.

For the Mbuna, I agree. For the peacocks and the compressiceps, I disagree. They are both carnivorous. The compressiceps is an ambush piscivore even- no way bloodworms are going to have too much protein for the comp and the peacocks.

Dimidiochromis compressiceps

These dietary differences (as well as behavioral differences) are a big part of the reason why people recommend housing Mbuna with other Mbuna of similar size and temperament.

I see what you guys are trying to say, but to say that "Africans shouldn't be fed protein" is misleading. Herbivorous Mbuna are not the only Africans- there are carnivorous Malawi cichlids as well as Carnivorous Tanganyikan and Victorian cichlids. African riverine cichlids such as Pelvicachromis, Steatocranus, etc. are also carnivores.

Ya never know.

Check these out!

Tropheus World, part 1 - YouTube

One of my favorites. I have a Morri he's beautiful. I call him the pitbull of the tank.

My personal opinion is that Tropheus shouldn't be mixed with Mbuna, and definitely not with carnivorous cichlids. IMO they should be kept in a species colony only. Tropheus are from Lake Tanganyika and every reputable source I have run across says to keep them in large groups. They are extremely social yet highly aggressive toward conspecifics and most sources I've found recommend a minimum of 12, with higher numbers preferred. They are herbivorous and extremely susceptible to bloat. These are fish that even very experienced hobbyists often have trouble keeping alive for the long term (a period of months is not indicative of long term success). Tropheus, although beautiful and fascinating, have no place in this stock list IMO.

Tropheus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Off topic and chit chat posts have been deleted. Please remain on topic. AA is not a Facebook wall. If you would like to chit chat, that's fine- we have a chat room available for members who are logged in on a computer.

For the Mbuna, I agree. For the peacocks and the compressiceps, I disagree. They are both carnivorous. The compressiceps is an ambush piscivore even- no way bloodworms are going to have too much protein for the comp and the peacocks.

These dietary differences (as well as behavioral differences) are a big part of the reason why people recommend housing Mbuna with other Mbuna of similar size and temperament.

I see what you guys are trying to say, but to say that "Africans shouldn't be fed protein" is misleading. Herbivorous Mbuna are not the only Africans- there are carnivorous Malawi cichlids as well as Carnivorous Tanganyikan and Victorian cichlids. African riverine cichlids such as Pelvicachromis, Steatocranus, etc. are also carnivores.

My personal opinion is that Tropheus shouldn't be mixed with Mbuna, and definitely not with carnivorous cichlids. IMO they should be kept in a species colony only. Tropheus are from Lake Tanganyika and every reputable source I have run across says to keep them in large groups. They are extremely social yet highly aggressive toward conspecifics and most sources I've found recommend a minimum of 12, with higher numbers preferred. They are herbivorous and extremely susceptible to bloat. These are fish that even very experienced hobbyists often have trouble keeping alive for the long term (a period of months is not indicative of long term success). Tropheus, although beautiful and fascinating, have no place in this stock list IMO.

Thanks for chiming in there Severum Mama! I wonder if there is a way to distract the little guys and try to target feed my dimidiochromis... he is a mid to top level swimmer so maybe if I drop some cuke in I can get him some bloodworms. I got some fry coming too so maybe he will be able to keep the population under control. I'd prefer to keep him although it isnt recommended :/ Super sorry about the chit chat! I do tend to post alot from my mobile :hide:

severum mama said:

My appologies I should have been clearer.I was referring to the mbuna when I advised against bloodworm.Of course the eye biter and the peacocks will be fine with bloodworm but I think it's unlikely you will be able to single them out for feeding purposes.

My appologies I should have been clearer.I was referring to the mbuna when I advised against bloodworm.Of course the eye biter and the peacocks will be fine with bloodworm but I think it's unlikely you will be able to single them out for feeding purposes.
Amazingly enough I distracted the lil guys with cucumber and dropped in half a block of bloodworms and he homed in on it, even one of the Mbuna's went after it, even had it in his mouth and my Compressiceps went up and stole it lol. Probably wont work everytime but I figure I will give it a couple tries :)

Totally broke ANOTHER kitchen thermometer again while changing water in all tanks. Gonna try to return it and get a new one, they are expensive and I am sooooo anal with temp matching!!

Totally broke ANOTHER kitchen thermometer again while changing water in all tanks. Gonna try to return it and get a new one, they are expensive and I am sooooo anal with temp matching!!

As long as the temp is close, it's not a big deal. I just use my hand to compare temps from the tap and the tank until I get the tap close, then refill with a Python, dosing Prime for the volume of the tank. Even if you're doing a 50% water change, the temp of the makeup water is going to have to be pretty off to affect the tank's temp in any meaningful way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom