Jessica's 55g build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Convict2161 said:
Very Very nice. Great song too!!

Thanks :) they love n e thing that drops in that tank! I seen the tiny abn out cruising the sand bed a lil n I was kinda surprised cuz I never see him so I thought he might have been hungry n tried to toss him a wafer... But no, greedy lil buggers!

AndrewsPistol said:
Thanks :) they love n e thing that drops in that tank! I seen the tiny abn out cruising the sand bed a lil n I was kinda surprised cuz I never see him so I thought he might have been hungry n tried to toss him a wafer... But no, greedy lil buggers!

Hahaha it happens.

Finally seen my compressiceps eat the tiniest piece of flake EVER today too... Better than nuthin I suppose... The little guys don't let the big guys get much either, boy are they quick!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they were slightly irritated that they didn't get n e veggies today... I used to give em a piece of cucumber in the am n pellets n flake in the evening... Wish I could give up flake all together honestly. What a mess....

AndrewsPistol said:
Finally seen my compressiceps eat the tiniest piece of flake EVER today too... Better than nuthin I suppose... The little guys don't let the big guys get much either, boy are they quick!

Yeah but not to worry there getting there share and if hungry enough they'll get what they want.

AndrewsPistol said:

Don't worry about the eye biter.I have 4 of them and they were all slow to get going with the eating.Now I don't know what all the fuss is about they eat like crazy.My big male gets whatever he wants.These fish are true predators.Any new fish I introduce have to get the seal of approval from them first.Be very careful about adding small fish as the mouths on these. Ad boys are huge and they can and will eat anything that fits in them.Really beautiful fish when they colour up but I like the silver too :)

So what's the pH at? I'm REALLY curious.
Sorry!!!! I just got up a lil bit ago! Well here it is, you were totally right! There is definitely a swing overnight :nono: Now what???

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 37
Don't worry about the eye biter.I have 4 of them and they were all slow to get going with the eating.Now I don't know what all the fuss is about they eat like crazy.My big male gets whatever he wants.These fish are true predators.Any new fish I introduce have to get the seal of approval from them first.Be very careful about adding small fish as the mouths on these. Ad boys are huge and they can and will eat anything that fits in them.Really beautiful fish when they colour up but I like the silver too :)
Yes! Very cool! I think he is still warming up to his new surroundings cuz he is still shy around me, he jets to the other side of the tank still when I come around :) He will get used to me eventually :) Such a cool lookin dude!

AndrewsPistol said:
Sorry!!!! I just got up a lil bit ago! Well here it is, you were totally right! There is definitely a swing overnight :nono: Now what???

You need to start a buffer. Crushed coral works great. You would only need about 10-15 lbs and can mix it in with your sand. I love having it with my sand cause it adds a little weight to it keeping the sand from blowing all around.

Malawi Freak said:
You need to start a buffer. Crushed coral works great. You would only need about 10-15 lbs and can mix it in with your sand. I love having it with my sand cause it adds a little weight to it keeping the sand from blowing all around.

x2 took the words right outta my mouth. Just what I told ya on the phone :)

Your pH is dropping over night. So now you know where your starting from. That's why your pH in the tank is dropping.

Like MF said a Malawi Buffer of what I like is crushed coral in a media bag tucked in your AC 110 :)

You have plenty of room for it! And that's one of many reasons I mentioned the AC to ya. You'll be fine. Just get it stabilized pH swings can stress your fish. And low pH with Africans can kill them. But were talking low. My friend had 6.0 and lost every fish! :(

Convict2161 said:
x2 took the words right outta my mouth. Just what I told ya on the phone :)

Your pH is dropping over night. So now you know where your starting from. That's why your pH in the tank is dropping.

Like MF said a Malawi Buffer of what I like is crushed coral in a media bag tucked in your AC 110 :)

You have plenty of room for it! And that's one of many reasons I mentioned the AC to ya. You'll be fine. Just get it stabilized pH swings can stress your fish. And low pH with Africans can kill them. But were talking low. My friend had 6.0 and lost every fish! :(

Alright! Sounds good :) I'm gonna try to get to the lfs today, sucks that its sooo farrrr :(

So what am I doing? Water changes for sure right? Then just wait for crushed coral? This is all a little confusing, I guess I didnt know it was possible that my ph could swing overnight! :confused: Ive attatched some pics of todays params.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 60
Do a water change. It's not bad. Your pH is good along with everything else. You do have some ammonia in your tank.

Convict2161 said:
Do a water change. It's not bad. Your pH is good along with everything else. You do have some ammonia in your tank.

Yea I seen that... A lot more than I'm used too...

Isn't this an extreme amount of bubbles? What can I do about this? It's kinda killing me...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120323_152234.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120323_152234.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 56
AndrewsPistol said:
Isn't this an extreme amount of bubbles? What can I do about this? It's kinda killing me...

That's from your filters? It hitting the water. Raise the water level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom