JOM20's 38g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did the same thing just to get use to the different tests. I only weighed the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate values during the cycling process. IMO it's better to get use to your test equipment now instead of later.

The cycle has started. Checked my ammonia earlier and it was ~0.75ppm. The color was between 0.50 and 1, so I'm guestimating 0.75.

There is a smell when I get right over the tank, so it could be bad here soon. I have a glass top that will fit, that I haven't used before, so I might be bringing that out for the cycle.

I'm gonna rearrange the rocks again, based on the suggestion of some folks. I'm gonna take the ones on the sides up so I can use an algae scraper in the future. :)

Last edited:
Aww forget what the "people" say. Its all about what YOU want. As long as it functions well, and YOU like it, then go for it. Remember, aside from the things like filtration, heating etc.. This whole dang hobby is ALL personal preference! Go your own route and enjoy it!!

I don't think the smell will be that bad. My tank smelled like the beach after a night of rough seas. lol

Well I tested a little early today...probably won't be home later. Ammonia is at 1ppm and I have nitrites...0.25. :) Definitely smells like a beach after rough seas. :)

I took a pic of something on one of my rocks, but I'll post it in a bit. Camera is downstairs. :rolleyes:

Mystery critter:

3808810075_f45b2edcd4.jpg

Linksyz recommended that I poke at it, so I did. It didn't move. So whatever it is, I have concluded that its dead. It's probably nothing, but I was curious! Any ideas?

And a FTS after I moved the rock from the left side of the glass. Its still a bit cloudy from moving the rock.
3808874769_ed55aba1ac.jpg

3808877861_6c7644042b.jpg

LOL! Well idk!? I would have poked it lolol. I poked a couple things in my tank lol. I dont see how it could hurt xD As long as you didnt JAB at it. Haha. It still looks really cool. And btw.... Your tank is sooo awesome!!! I love the rockwork!! Great job!!!

Well I tested a little early today...probably won't be home later. Ammonia is at 1ppm and I have nitrites...0.25. :) Definitely smells like a beach after rough seas. :)

I took a pic of something on one of my rocks, but I'll post it in a bit. Camera is downstairs. :rolleyes:
"I thought you took a picture of the "smell:. Blew my mind................................;)

The picture may be a featherduster or the holdfast of some sort of clam. the clam might have been knocked off a while ago but the holdfast will remain.
Here is that link to the hitchhikers and I'm sure allot more will be popping up.
Xtalreef

That's A Sponge for sure in your Picture I have a Ton of them in my Sump very good Filter feeder...

Sweet! Thanks for the ID Tank!

I made an order at aquacave.com this evening. I ordered:

Octopus BH100F protein skimmer
Salifert Magnesium kit
Salifert nitrate kit
Salifert KH/alkalinity kit
Magfloat
nets

Next order will be lights. I might get the fixture this week or wait a bit...not sure. I really don't need it right now, but it would good to already have it. :D

Back
Top Bottom