JOM20's 38g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The picture may be a featherduster or the holdfast of some sort of clam. the clam might have been knocked off a while ago but the holdfast will remain.
Here is that link to the hitchhikers and I'm sure allot more will be popping up.
Xtalreef
Great link.

Sweet! Thanks for the ID Tank!

Great link TC, A ton of help.

I made an order at aquacave.com this evening. I ordered:

Octopus BH100F protein skimmer
Salifert Magnesium kit
Salifert nitrate kit
Salifert KH/alkalinity kit
Magfloat
nets

Next order will be lights. I might get the fixture this week or wait a bit...not sure. I really don't need it right now, but it would good to already have it. :D

ABout how much did it run?

I'm gonna get my light from marineandreef.com. So far, its free shipping in my cart and no heavy item fee added. I haven't paid yet though, but have gone through everything else except payment. :)

Usually before you add the item to your cart and the item has a heavy item fee, they make you select the heavy item fee for the shipping so it just adds to the amount on to the fixture. I would say you have no heavy item fee.....I may have to look at marineandreef.com for the fixture as I was planning on ordering it from aquacave, who tags an extra $20 on to the price for a heavy item fee (when I order it lol).

Last edited:
Got my order from Aquacave.com today. :)

So I have a Reef Octopus BH100F skimmer (still in box), and Nitrate, KH/alk, and Magnesium test kits by Salifert.

Did some testing again tonight:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm (checked it twice to make sure)
Nitrite: 1ppm
pH: 7.8
Nitrates: 10ppm
Magnesium: 1470
KH/Alk: 14.4dkh higher than I expected
Calcium: 520

Didn't check phosphates again, as the number would be irrelevant while cycling and I wasn't curious about it. :)

I'll open up the skimmer tomorrow and get some pics of it. And add an updated tank shot (still looks the same though).

Could my ammonia already be going down? It only peaked to 1ppm. I have cycled fw tanks before, but with plants, so it wasn't a typical cycle. Just making sure I can believe what I see. :) I know the cycle isn't over...just happy ammonia is falling.

Comments?

the levels dont go up and down, they fluctuate in very small degrees. so thats why the ammonia is going up and down slightly.

Well usually during cycling they peak and then fall. That's what mine is doing, but I figured it was a little soon for the fall. I guess I'll see after testing the next couple days, what the levels actually do.

My ammonia and nitrite tested 0 last night and the other night I had 10 nitrates. I will check them again today at some point. As long as the ammonia and nitrites stay 0 and my nitrates rise, I can say I'm cycled!!

If it is truly cycled, I will go to the lfs this week and see if they have any of the fish I want. Then I'll add something to the tank!

I'm going to order my light fixture sometime today, so if it comes in this week, maybe I can pick up a couple frags as well. :D

What's the reasoning for that? I'll do a water change before I add anything to lower the nitrates and phosphates (hopefully wiping them out).

If I have to wait, I will. Just wondering why I need to wait.

well its just me, but wouldnt you rather be safe than sorry? at least wait a little while because corals are very sensitive. like at a minimum, id wait at least 3 days after you are SURE that the tank has cycled.

Back
Top Bottom