Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm picking up the 100 gallon tonight!!! :) I'm so giddy and excited!!!

Congrats! Now leave some space between the wall and the tank this time. Lol. Sorry, had to give you some crap. Can't wait to see it up and running.

Congrats! Now leave some space between the wall and the tank this time. Lol. Sorry, had to give you some crap. Can't wait to see it up and running.

Thanks! Lol. I have 3 older brothers. Giving me crap is usually welcome. :) I feel like it instantly swallowed my 55 gallon. Haha.

img_2468156_0_c322087ffe85ea5a4e3a519e7c061ba9.jpg

Nice score, does that mean your selling the 55? Also something to keep in mind when your cleaning it out is to look for a sticker saying if its tempered glass. I don't know if 100g are or not but if its not then drill it now while its empty even if your not doing a sump. You can easily put a bulkhead fitting in the hole with a valve to close it so its water tight.

Nice score, does that mean your selling the 55? Also something to keep in mind when your cleaning it out is to look for a sticker saying if its tempered glass. I don't know if 100g are or not but if its not then drill it now while its empty even if your not doing a sump. You can easily put a bulkhead fitting in the hole with a valve to close it so its water tight.

Thanks. :) I'm so excited! I paid $160 for it! That's how much it was going to cost to build a stand, anyway. :) I'm just going to have to make sure I'm not moving soon before I set it up.

Sorry, yes. I'm selling the 55. :)

What soy you plan on doing for lights now?

I'm going to build a canopy and hang my existing T5 fixtures (6 bulbs, which will be adding 2 bulbs) in there and see about adding some lights to either end. Any suggestions?

Can someone please explain to me, in detail, how a sump works? What are baffles and what are the purposes of the different sections?

I can't seem to google the right info to help me understand. Lol

Ok, basic sump with refugium - a la Ingy

Start with 3 sections. First section is where the water lines from the display tank feed. There is room for the skimmer and baffles are designed to provide sufficient room. Skimmer may need to be raised off the bottom a bit to get the right water level.
Baffles. Normally an over then under baffle pair. First baffle is glued to sides and bottom. Second baffle is about 1" further along and has a gap of 1-2" from bottom for water to pass under. This baffle pair promote bubbles to go up between baffles. First baffle determines water hieght in first section. Not terribly important.
Next section routinely houses some extra rocks for BB filtration and macro algae to consume nitrates and phosphates. Chaeto is most common. You need a simple light for chaeto. 17w CFL clip on desk light from home depot works great.
Another baffle pair same as before then the third section. This is the return section where your return pump resides (unless you want to plumb an external return pump from this section). This section needn't be too big, but all your tank evaporation comes out of this section so don't make it too small. If you use an ATO, your level gauge goes here.

Most dumps seem to be about 6-8" deep depending on sump size determined by baffle height. You should plan on having enough room for water in the sump so that when the return pump is shut off and the tank back syphons into the sump it doesn't overflow.

Baffles shod be the same material as the sump because acrylic glue doesn't stick to glass and silicon won't stick to acrylic long term.

A la Ingy version. I only have 2 sections. There is no baffles between the area where my drain lines are and skimmer, and where my rocks and chaeto are. Only a baffle pair to my return section.

image-4112399589.jpg

image-3308407155.jpg

Attachments

• image-2094769899.jpg
    image-2094769899.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3862168559.jpg
    image-3862168559.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 67
I'm following :)
I just bought a sump setup. Its 10 gallons. Kinda small but serves its purpose

It has 2 baffles basically the tank is divided into 3 equal sections the side the overflow runs down to the baffle is almost at the top of the rim. Then the middle is for my cheato and some lr. The the next baffle is a little lower. Then the last section houses my return pump

This setup is not how I would have built it but it works.

One tip is your last chamber as someone else said you want to figure out the right level to where when you shut the return off and any other acc. it does not get too high and flood when you figure the right level while everything is running make you a mark with a marker so you know that is your max fill line

As for a ato I can help you with building your own. Pretty simple. I use a 12volt switching relay and 2 float switches side by side wired in line so if one sticks the other will shut it off. You can buy kits online like mine where all you have to do is assemble it. I'm going to stop using mine soon because I am buying a reefkeeper lite controller which will control my ato pump

Awesome information guys! Thank you so much! I'm thinking that i want to put a sump on my 100 gallon. (Probably a 40 gallon breeder or something similar.) so that really helped me understand kind of how to put it together, because I will be building it.

Kevin, thanks for following. :) I would definitely love to put an ATO together. I will probably go with whatever is cheapest. If I am going to have a sump, there's no excuse not to have one. Lol.

Do y'all by chance know who to contact to drill my tank? Like a window shop? Do they have just standard glass shops? I've never done this before. Kind of my first high tech-ish setup. I definitely have to drill this tank to have a sump. I live in an apartment, so it's really really important to have a proper over flow back into my display. Too much liability with 140+ gallons of water. Lol. I can't risk gravity draining it all!

Thanks for the great responses. I'm really trying to learn and research before I do anything at all and I'm prepared to wait to set this up correctly. I feel like I rushed into my 55 a little. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

It seemed you had a pretty nice little setup that needed some tweaking and a lot more time invested and now your jumping into a 100 gallon with a tight budget and little knowledge now you have to get new lights, a bigger skimmer, build a sump, buy a lot more sand and rock and you have a hard time doing water changes and topping off. Once again I'm not trying to bash you but if I were you I would sell that crags list tank and try and perfect the 55 gallon first. SORRY just my opinion.

It seemed you had a pretty nice little setup that needed some tweaking and a lot more time invested and now your jumping into a 100 gallon with a tight budget and little knowledge now you have to get new lights, a bigger skimmer, build a sump, buy a lot more sand and rock and you have a hard time doing water changes and topping off. Once again I'm not trying to bash you but if I were you I would sell that crags list tank and try and perfect the 55 gallon first. SORRY just my opinion.

Well, that's not what I want to do. As I said in my last post I'm not jumping into anything.

Also, I am here to learn and not to be judged. So if your opinion is rude or demeaning to me and the way I'm trying to learn(by experience), please keep it to yourself. Thanks.

The 100g will be easier to maintain anyways so I think the 100g is better to learn with than a 55. And the 100 will be more forgiving to parameter swings :)

You've learned a lot of lessons the hard way with the 55. You are asking questions and have the desire to do things the right way. You recognize your on a budget. If you take it one step at a time you'll be fine. This is a hobby that requires dedication, which you have. Bottom line is, this is something you enjoy and are passionate about so people shouldn't bash you for the decisions you make. Offer advice and solutions when asked for help not opinions. Take it slow and do it to the best of your ability Jordan. Were here to help.

When I first got my 55 I had a hob filter and a undergravel filter with two t8 lights ..I had a iron stand and everyone bashed me because of my set up .. Now those same people can't believe its the same tank with a thriving reef..:)

In no way am I trying to be rude. If that's the way you want to take it then thats on you. I'm just stating what I have seen from this tread. I've been following since February as an avid 55 gallon reefer myself. I enjoy looking and learning from this site all the time. But!!!! When I post stuff I take everyone's opinions into consideration good or bad. That's how you learn. I was simply stating that you said you were on a tight budget and couldn't afford most stuff that was suggested for your 55 and now your doubling your tank. Sorry you took it the wrong way. And judging by your last video, I wouldn't say it's "thriving". :p

The 100g will be easier to maintain anyways so I think the 100g is better to learn with than a 55. And the 100 will be more forgiving to parameter swings :)

You've learned a lot of lessons the hard way with the 55. You are asking questions and have the desire to do things the right way. You recognize your on a budget. If you take it one step at a time you'll be fine. This is a hobby that requires dedication, which you have. Bottom line is, this is something you enjoy and are passionate about so people shouldn't bash you for the decisions you make. Offer advice and solutions when asked for help not opinions. Take it slow and do it to the best of your ability Jordan. Were here to help.

When I first got my 55 I had a hob filter and a undergravel filter with two t8 lights ..I had a iron stand and everyone bashed me because of my set up .. Now those same people can't believe its the same tank with a thriving reef..:)

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :) I'm excited about it. I wouldn't have upgraded, except the cost was the same as building a new stand and it was something I wanted to do anyway. It will probably be August or maybe even December before I put water in it. I have plenty of time to learn and do everything just how it needs to be done. I've been making phone calls trying to get my tank drilled, but its the weekend and most places are closed. I'm going to paint the back of this tank black. Is it better to do that before or after I have it drilled?

I have faith in you :)
Main thing. .. ask. Ask and then ask some more.
Even if I think I'm positive on an answer I still ask to get other opinions.

Plus most people say the bigger the easier. So imo go for it.

I'm jeaous I wish I had a 100 gallon. Heck even a 55 lol

I would drill first then paint. What happens if the unspeakable happens while its being drilled then you wasted time and paint, ya know what I mean?

Back
Top Bottom