Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wicked cool for sure.

Definitely. If my boyfriend wouldn't be upset about it, I would already have a species tank cycling. Lol. I wanted to do a crawfish tank. Reef lobster is definitely cooler.

I added a toadstool today. I'll post pictures when it opens.

Here's a picture of the new coral. It's definitely the most I've ever invested in a coral, so I'm hoping he does well. I also got some base rock so I could replace some of my not-so-natural looking rocks.

img_2520718_0_f896ea21687550c12bb63e8271c7da92.jpg

Why couldn't you get the reef lobster? It should be fine in the reef. Anything with claws is a potential predator, but I wouldn't treat that any different than say, an emerald crab.

Nice, that is a big toadstool.

The new rock looks great! Awesome toadstool leather.

Thank you guys!!! I'm really excited about all of it. :) Starting yesterday, I'm going to go buy some base rock every once in a while to add to my 55 so I have enough when it comes time to set up my 100 gallon.

Why couldn't you get the reef lobster? It should be fine in the reef. Anything with claws is a potential predator, but I wouldn't treat that any different than say, an emerald crab.

Really? I really really want it. I just didn't know, since it got much larger than most clawed things in my aquarium, if it would kill and eat fish. I also didn't know the proper way to feed and house it. I try hard not to buy living things without proper research. Lol.

He was about $60. I kind of want him!

Wow...that's expensive. I see them for about 20 bucks.

Really? Wow. I might want to save my money then. But this is the only one I've ever seen my lfs have. Maybe ordering online would be a better option.

Keep in mind the only time you will see him in a reef tank is with a flashlight at night and maybe a claw sticking out when feeding.

Keep in mind the only time you will see him in a reef tank is with a flashlight at night and maybe a claw sticking out when feeding.

That's very true. I've kept a lot of freshwater crawfish (I know they're not the same) so I have some experience setting up a tank where I could see him all the time. But it would have to be a reef with just him in it. I think it would be pretty cool. I do have an empty 40 gallon... Lol

That would be one BORING reef IMO!

It definitely has the potential to be really boring. But if It were him, a cuc, and maybe a couple clowns and smaller fish it would be cool. I'm just planning on investing in some expensive stuff for my 100 gallon and it makes me nervous that something could eat some of it. But I guess that would be the risk that comes with having one.

What do you think it's going to eat? I don't think it's going to bother with corals, and it's not going to catch a healthy fish.

What do you think it's going to eat? I don't think it's going to bother with corals, and it's not going to catch a healthy fish.

Right now I only have 1 clown fish, a 6-line wrasse, and a blue/green chromis. I don't think it could catch any of those. But couldn't it kill shrimp and things of that sort?

Looks good! I have a lot of hair algae on my glass. But, besides that all is well. I kind of like the way it sways in the flow lol. Eventually a tang that I get hopefully can graze it.

Looks good! I have a lot of hair algae on my glass. But, besides that all is well. I kind of like the way it sways in the flow lol. Eventually a tang that I get hopefully can graze it.

Thanks!! I need a better cuc. I always have algae all over my glass. But I think that's just having a saltwater tank! Btw, I'm still in love with your new lights. I have huge news for the 100 gallon build today! :)

Back
Top Bottom