Journal: 10 Gallon Nano Cube (5/5/06 update)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zezmo

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is the 10 gallon Nano that I set up in January `06. There is about 8 gallons of tank, and about 2 gallons in the filter.
The filter is 2 stage, one is all Floss, and the other is bags of bio media. The tank came with one, and I added others from more mature tanks. There is a third part of the filter that has the pump, and the heater. For lighting the tank came with 2x 13watt CF bulbs. I upgraded to 4x 13w cf, and 4 blue LED moonlights.
It is set up with 1 1/2 bags of ECO complete for substrate. I am using the ADA "nano" CO2 set up. It came with "Amazonian" scented CO2. Heh, yes you can smell it ever so faintly in the room. I was planning on adapting this unit to take low pressure refills from my main tank. But the ADA cannisters last a long time so I will probably just keep using them. So far it works well and is a nice complete set-up. The only thing it lacks is a solenoid, which I picked up from a local used machinery wherehouse. The solenoid is A/C powered and cost $7 with fittings and wires.
At first, I cycled the tank with clippings from my other tanks and a bunch of snails. Then I made a trip up to SF and visited Ocean Aquarium and Aqua Forest to get some plants. My goal was to get only plants that I had not tried growing before, and that I had not seen in south bay stores. While up there I got these pants; Hygrophila costada, Eustralis stellata, Blyxa japonica, Bacopa myriphyoides, Myriophyllum matogrossens, Eriocaulaceae sp, Eriocaulon sp 'Mato grosso', Cryptocoryne parva, and Cryptocoryne crispatula 'Balansae'. I also picked up a few of the exotic Guppies found at both stores. Unexpected "pets" came in the form of a leech and some hydra. The leech I removed, the hydra I am letting stay. The critters in the tank are rounded out by some Trichopsis pumilus (Pygmy Sparkling Gourami), an Apple Snail, and some Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I got the snails from Bangkok Aquarium. They are a good source for MTS. The tank also temporarily has a young Yo-Yo loach (Botia Almorae). He is there cleaning up pond snails, and will move to another tank after a bit.

Nano-Front1.JPG

Nano-front-low.JPG

Nano-corner2.JPG

nano-front-cls.JPG

Here are some shots of the driftwood. I actually bought this piece several months ago because it looked so interesting. I know it would find a home eventually.

Driftwood-nano.JPG

Here is the young Yo-yo loach...
nano_driftwood.JPG

This is the first time a shrimp picture actually turned out for me ;-)
AmanoShrimp1.JPG

These two plants were nearly identical when I bought them. The left one stayed in this tank, the right one went in the main tank to become a Rainbow Fish salad bar.
Eriocaulon_sp.JPG

Check out the "vortex" in the CO2 diffusor. One of the vents from my outflow blows accross the top creating a little CO2 tornado. The micro bubbles float all over the tank from there.
CO2_tornado.JPG

This is my Eriocaulon Mato Grosso. At first it was a little melty after planting. Changing my CO2 to a "mist" that blast through the tank, and dropping my KH down nice and low stopped the melting. It was in my main tank first. The Rainbows were eating the melted bits, but when they started ploughing through the new growth, I moved it to this tank. It was like 3x this size when I bought it. It does show much new growth, so things should be ok with it.
Eriocaulon_mato_grosso.JPG

This is a nice plant, I imagine in my main tank it would go crazy. If you look real close at this shot you can barely see some green fresh water hydras on the leaves. Hygrophila costada
Hygrophila_costada.JPG

Here are a few shots that I had in another post... these are just of the tank itself while I was setting it up...
Nano-Specs.JPG

Nano-filter.JPG

Nano-lid.JPG

Well.... I have more pictures.... lol...but I am sure that is enough. I would like to say that this whole Nano project has been a lot of fun. I do look forward to watching this tank mature.

Very nice........nice setup........nice photos.

I like the driftwood too........would you happen to know what kind of wood that is?

(y)

I'm actually at a loss for words Zezmo. I would attempt to say what I like about the tank but that's not possible right now because my eyes have fallen out of their sockets.

I'd be interested in knowing more about your CO2 setup. Could you give us some details on your CO2 levels and where you bought it?

I can't wait to see more pics of this tank after it's had a chance to mature.

Beautiful tank and cool plants Zezmo.

Changing my CO2 to a "mist" that blast through the tank, and dropping my KH down nice and low stopped the melting.

A couple of pics you'll find interesting if you ignore the GW :) New growth is with CO2 mist, old growth regular diffusion. I maintain KH~2 in this tank with RO/DI and Aquasoil:

Eriocaulon sp "Guang Zhou" (recently split)
Rotala sp "Goias"

Very pretty tank and beautiful pics. I too am curious about your CO2 set up. Looks cool and high tech. I am always looking for new toys. What is that thing? Does it work well?

Sherry,

FWIW like Zezmo I find mist makes plants grow and look much better than complete (bubble-free) diffusion, and that the difference is significant. I'm way interested in his observations on this.

I find all the bubbles distracting, and dislike that to fully enjoy the tank I have to change it (turn off the mist) from its everyday state, and so kind of feel its "cheating." Its hard to explain logically; just a personal thing. Might get used to it.

Thank you all for the kind words. This tank is about 3 months old now. 2 months since those pictures were taken. Like any young tank this one has gone through some changes. Had its share of problems, etc. I will say that keeping this little turbo charged tank, and its delicate and demandig inhabitants has not been easy. I feel that I am just now getting a "feel" for this tank.
The plants have changed to some Tonia and Eriocaulon sp. plants as the background. The foreground had some Hairgrass added, and had generally filled in. The current inhabitants are 4 Pygmy Croaking Gouramis, 1 Scarlet badis, 1 Fancy Guppy, several Amano Shrimp, and the Loach is still in there, but only until I can catch him, which I have been working at for a few days now.

would you happen to know what kind of wood that is?
It was purchased as African Rootwood/Bogwood. It seems to be the same stuff as the wood I have used in my other tanks. I have found it at several local stores under those names. This stuff has lots of tannins. I boiled it for days, and I still get lots of tannins in my waste water. It is just now getting to where it does not affect the water as much.

my eyes have fallen out of their sockets.

Lol...Jc... :p Er, maybe I should have some kind of disclaimer. "The Viewer shall hold Zezmo harmless in regards to any injury resulting from viewing these images. "
Thank you man ;-)

Could you give us some details on your CO2 levels and where you bought it?

That is a complete ADA nano CO2 kit that I bought at Aqua Forest in San Francisco. The kit included pretty much everything that is needed to set up CO2 on a small tank. Regulator/Needle valve, on/off valve, Glass Bubble counter, Glass Diffusor, 3 different types (color, hardness) of tubing, and plenty of it. 4 different colors and sizes of suction cups, and plenty of those as well.
It also included a bottle of Green Bacter, which is Amanos version of a "quick cycle" to get the right kinds of bacteria going yada yada.
The last bit was the CO2 bottle itself. The one that was included was the "Amazonia" scent. I would describe it as a faint orchid scent when you are near the tank.
Supposedly the scent gets stronger as it gets more empty. For me, the first bottle has lasted 10 weeks so far. I wasted a lot of CO2 in setting it up. So the next bottle will be a better gauge of how long they will last.
Nano-CO2-1.JPG

Nano-CO2-Box.JPG

As for Mist vs Diffusion, I am more in favor of Mist nowadays. With bubbles of CO2 zooming around the tank, and landing on plants to be used directly. It seems that you can get more CO2 to the plants without gassing the fish or crashing the Ph. For my Nano, the Kh is so low that measuring CO2 via the Ph/Kh method is iffy at best. I do very little testing on this tank. CO2 is basically cranked up to just below the point where my Guppy is unhappy.
I am using Estimative Index for my ferts, with a 5 gallon per week water change (90% RO/DI water, 10% tap filter through a carbon block filter, no additives) to reset the system. I add 1/2tsp KNO3, 1/2 tsp diluted fleet enema (1/10), 3 tsp of Flourish, 1 tsp of Flourish trace, 1/2 tsp Equilibrium per week of ferts.
Then I mix all the micros in one bottle with water, and all the micros in another bottle with water. Then pour a little from the micro bottle in each morning, and a little from the macro bottle each evening. I also add 1tsp of Excel each day. This is mostly in my attempts to keep algae under control.
Here are the extra lights I added: http://webpages.charter.net/zezmo/Nanolights-upgrade.JPG
For these I bought some Worklights at WalMart and basically cannibalized them to make the new light fixture. They were a winner because they came with 6700k bulbs.

Here are a few pics I took the other day. These have my new plants from the last SFBAAPS swap, and from a group order from Greenchapter in Singapore.
http://www.greenchapter.com/plant.php

These are just some general tank shots:
Nano-1.JPG

Nano-2.JPG

Nano-3.JPG

A nice shot of the Driftwood, it is developing a nice patina. I see faces in the wood when I look at this shot.... at least 3 clearly.
driftwood-close1.JPG

er..if you don't see the face...at least humor me on this one ;-)

Here are some new plants (for me)
Blyxa aubertii
Blyxa_japonica1.JPG

Hairgrass after planting, see the riccia stone in the back.
Hairgrass1.JPG

A few weeks later..look at the Riccia now. That is my Scarlet Badis hamming it up for the camera.
<<picture no longer hosted>>

Eriocaulon Species Type 3:
ERIOCAULON_T3_2.JPG

ERIOCAULON_T3_3.JPG

ERIOCAULON_SP_TYPE_3_1.JPG

Time to just let it grow out.

Hardware: 10gallons (8 lighted), ADA CO2 with Ceramic diffusor, 52watts CF lighting, ECO COmplete, EI fert routine, RO/DI water

Absolutely breathe taking. We definately need to see more pics as this tank progresses. It has such healthy looking plants and the driftwood really holds the landscaping together.

ummm, Zezmo, it was my eyes that popped out. Doesn't matter, you went ahead and posted more pics and the condition has recurred. Your disclaimer doesn't hold water, you will be held responsible. :D

I have the same problem as Jchillin, though :) The Scarlet Badis and Sparkling Gourami look awesome.

I especially like the effect of the "Mermaid weed" in the field of Tonina and Eriocaulon.

Beautiful, beautiful tank and plants. Wow. Thanks for sharing. That is inspiring. I'm gonna save my pennies. Love that CO2 system, and am on the verge of going pressurized. Christmas may come early!

What do you prefer to use when tying riccia to small stones?

Zezmo,
It's lookin better and better!!

But.....YA YA.....I see Abe Lincoln, Gandhi.....and Peter from family guy!
The preceeding was alil driftwood humor.

Bogwood huh.......thx......gonna have to get me some of that.

What do you prefer to use when tying riccia to small stones?

WalMart has some green netting for sale in thier cloth/sewing dept. It is made of nylon so no rotting. The stuff was only 57 cents a yard. My front yard has some red lava rock gravel. I went out and grabbed a dozen or so nice rocks and boiled them. Once they were clean and cooled, I covered them in moss or riccia and wrapped them in the netting. The bottom is tied off by wrapping fishing ling around a bunch of times. Pretty soon I had more riccia and moss rocks than I knew what to do with.

This is just a small update to this tank. One of the Pygmy Croaking Gouramis was hanging out under a leaf looking pale. After the second day of this, i got down after work to see what was up with him. Well imagine my pleasant surprise when I saw he was guarding a clutch of fry.
PCG-nest-1.JPG

PCG-nest-2.JPG

He is a very caring Papa, this sequence shows him defending his young from a vicious snail who was invading his area.

PCG-defendingfry1.JPG

PCG-defendingfry2.JPG

PCG-defendingfry3.JPG

PCG-defendingfry4.JPG

PCG-defendingfry5.JPG

PCG-defendingfry6.JPG

PCG-defendingfry7.JPG

When I was feeding him, I tried to give him a brine shrimp with tweezers. He was happy for the snack, but then I bumped the leaf...and all the babys dropped...some kind of defense mechanism. The papa then collected them one at a time in his mouth and put them back into the nest.

Great pics Zez...hope the fry make it.

What kind of plant is that they are nested in?

What a terrific little tank...

I love the aquascaping and the mix of inhabitants. If only I could get my hands on some scarlet badis...

The pygmy gouramis are really interesting, too - congrats on the fry!

Back
Top Bottom