Journaling Rescape/Stocking 30gal Holding Tank for Mbuna - Input Welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't keep convicts with Africans. I'm just going to stop there. Here's one of my scapes. I don't have problems with debris but I rescape every month or every other. I've got about 200 pounds of rock in a five foot 125, with mbuna, peacocks, and haps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so finally I got my cichlids.

1 red zebra
1 yellow lab (got for free)
1 auratus
1 acei
2 unknown as they came from the assorted tank.

I'll post pictures of the two that need an ID.

Okay here are pics of the two fish Thad need ID'd

Worker thought possibly a zebra or kenyi

View attachment 217573

Worker had no clue

View attachment 217574

Sorry about crappy quality, just so hard to get a decent pic of the lil guys, they swim so fast.

Lab and second a kenyi

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, so the 2nd pic is kenyi, you all agreed on that.

Here's another pic of the 1st one. About as clear as I can get.

View attachment 217582

I don't think he's a lab cause I have a for sure lab and he has a little bit of black on his top fin where as this one doesn't. I don't think he's a red zebra either cause my other for sure red zebra is more orangish. He does have some vertical bars on him, you just can't really see them very well.

May be a hybrid

Could possibly be a hybrid. I think I might have to wait until he's older and see if his stripes develop anymore.

I'm starting to think he's Kenyi.

My acei cichlid is digging a little hole in the sand behind a rock. Is this normal or is it cause there isn't enough rock in my tank.

I'm getting more this week, it's just been hard to find some. I didn't get a chance to stop by a garden store yesterday.

It usually take some time for the male to develop the yellow color and not that young

Could possibly be a hybrid. I think I might have to wait until he's older and see if his stripes develop anymore.

I'm starting to think he's Kenyi.

It's not kenyi. Juvenile males and females all are that icy blue with black stripes the males don't turn yellow till they mature Looks like the best thing to do is wait and see. Call little guy though how big is he?

Stopped at Petco today and bought a nice big rock, it's a ceramic mold of a piece if Texas holey rock. I really like it, and you can't even tell it's fake. I'll post a picture later tonight once I turn on the lights.

Also at Petco, I bought a dragons blood peacock. He was in an assorted tank and figured $12 was a good deal. Nice looking fish!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390253605.158268.jpg

I don't think the mbuna's will give him any trouble as he's a good inch bigger than them.

Even more good news. The guy replied about the 75 gal tank. Hopefully it holds water and isn't damaged. Looking to pick it up Wednesday if possible!! :)

Nice dragon! I have one w my mbuna and they're fine. They don't chase him and he only chewed or gets chased by other peacocks! And do here crossed on that 75 you will need it! Get it ASAP so u can stock what you want now and not have the other fish get too established and bees receptive of newcomers. In a 75 you can do about 20-25 mbuna and only a few peacocks I would say as peacocks require more space. I have 3 in my 90 w mbuna.

Such a beautiful fish! I almost bought an albino one from an assorted tank also but decided not to push my luck lol. So far everyone's getting along great! The peacock will occasionally chase my acei but nothing to really worry about.

How the tank looks with the new rock. Like/dislike??? :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390263495.934430.jpg

Looks great! I'd build up the other couple areas with a lil stacking also to make more spots to hide/retreat then it'll be perfect! Love the white rock with black substrate.

Looks great! I'd build up the other couple areas with a lil stacking also to make more spots to hide/retreat then it'll be perfect! Love the white rock with black substrate.

Yeah I love it!! I could sit here and watch the buggers swim for hours.

Your right, I think I'm gonna order 3 more pounds of the seiryu stone and stack the rocks a little. I don't want it to be to much. :)

Back
Top Bottom