Journaling Rescape/Stocking 30gal Holding Tank for Mbuna - Input Welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update on the growout tank.

I've had a blast so far putting together and observing this tank! No one is really bullied, there's just occasional chasing. Not sure if I have mentioned this yet but I did return the yellow tail acei because I think he was way to big compared to the other guys and didn't want him to cause problems. He also never came out of his little cave and wasn't eating much.

Here's the pecking order right now:

Dragons blood peacock
Demasoni
Socolofi
Red zebra
Kenyi
Auratus
Yellow hybrid
Yellow lab

All fish look healthy and are constantly swimming around the tank, and always are wanting food! They even follow my finger like a little herd when I touch the glass.

I can't wait to get the 75, hopefully these guys can all stay together once they mature :) one question while I'm at it, how many Africans would you put in a 75?

While doing a wc, decided to move a couple rocks around. Added 2 caves. I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome, what do you guys think?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391376801.880792.jpg

While doing a wc, decided to move a couple rocks around. Added 2 caves. I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome, what do you guys think?

View attachment 220308

It's not bad if you're going to make this a grow out tank, but I'd recommend replacing the piece of wood with more rocks, so any fish being bullied can have places to hide/escape around corners. At work, so I couldn't read the first few pages lol, but I'd recommend a lot more rocks (y) I'm not a big fan of ocean rock and such, go with Yorkstone or other natural looking rocks, your fish will love it if you can mimic their natural habitat :mrgreen:

I've really been trying to center the aquascape around the dw, it's such a nice piece. Very hard to get a nice scape tho. The rocks are actually seiryu stone, not ocean rock. :)

Unfortunately, the deal on the 75 fell through. I'm going to have to buy a new tank. Will probably get a 55 kit + stand from Petco as it's the most cost effective and eventually just upgrade filter to a canister of some sort. My auratus died, he wasn't eating and was breathing very heavily.

Current stock in order of dominance:

X1 demasoni
X1 dragons blood peacock
X1 red zebra
X1 socolofi
X1 kenyi
X1 yellow hybrid
X1 yellow lab

Would like some help on how to stock the 55, what else could I add and should I increase the numbers on any of these guys? I'd like to have a few more peacocks.

My demasoni has gone nuts and has killed 3 fish in the past day or so!! Need help! I bought more rocks to help with hiding places. Will post pic soon. Are they known to be super aggressive or what? I'm so confused as their considered dwarf mbuna on some sites and some say semi aggressive to aggressive.

Demasoni is probably one of the most aggressive when it comes to mbunas, I've always steered clear of them since you can find other species that are similar in color, but more jekyll than hyde :p. I'd probably just try to rehome him, but you could try to add more Demasoni to spread some aggression towards one another, but it's kind of an iffy situation since he's already harassing the other species.

Demasoni is probably one of the most aggressive when it comes to mbunas, I've always steered clear of them since you can find other species that are similar in color, but more jekyll than hyde :p. I'd probably just try to rehome him, but you could try to add more Demasoni to spread some aggression towards one another, but it's kind of an iffy situation since he's already harassing the other species.

What a shame. He's such a pretty fish. Cost me $20 ! Don't really wanna add any more of them if it "might work" lol. Guess I'll have to return him to Petco.

What a shame. He's such a pretty fish. Cost me $20 ! Don't really wanna add any more of them if it "might work" lol. Guess I'll have to return him to Petco.

Yep, it's always trial and error when it comes to stocking since there's always a chance at that 1 REALLY bad apple, which you happened to have :p You can also probably find a Demasoni at a LFS in your area for way less than $20 as well (maybe $7-$9) :eek:

Yep, it's always trial and error when it comes to stocking since there's always a chance at that 1 REALLY bad apple, which you happened to have :p You can also probably find a Demasoni at a LFS in your area for way less than $20 as well (maybe $7-$9) :eek:

Wow lol looks like I overpaid!! I guess there is some good news to this situation tho. Tomorrow and Sunday my local Petco is having an all freshwater fish 50% off sale so I'll be heading over to that and returning the demasoni which will give me $20 in store credit so I won't have to spend any more money when buying tomorrow :) surprisingly, my Petco I go to has great selection, much more than what their website has to offer, and takes good care of their fish. They said for this big sale they're ordering double everything and more rare species so I'm excited :)

First off very nice set up for ur tank. Like the new cave structure u built. Still need to add a little new not trying to be annoying lol. Also done fish to consider:

bumble bee cichlid
Milomo cichlid
Electors blue johannsi

Electric***

Last edited by a moderator:
First off very nice set up for ur tank. Like the new cave structure u built. Still need to add a little new not trying to be annoying lol. Also done fish to consider:

bumble bee cichlid
Milomo cichlid
Electors blue johannsi

Thanks for your input. I actually stopped at Petco last night and bought a few more rocks. You probably can't tell by the pic but there's lots more crevices and little caves for them to swim through.

I still want to add more smaller stones and put them at the base of the tree like piece of dw to make it look like it's growing out of them kinda like the smaller piece I added coming out of the new pile. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392425909.155923.jpg

I'll send u. Pic of my tank it's not for mbuna but it's has some rocks stacking that u might likeImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392427157.232821.jpg as u see in the pic I get some large price of decor like ur holy rock and then I make caves with my other tics around it almost like an apartment. This tank is actually built for my bichir as e likes those rocks

Well IMO start out low but long like extend them. Then gradually pile them and pile them I think it would just be easier that way

Good or bad aqua scape for mbuna

bumble bee cichlid
Milomo cichlid
Electors blue johannsi

Bumblebees and Milomo aren't good for that small tank and even if you get 55 not so much either. 90 maybe. The fish you have will need a bigger tank quick as your demasoni is showing you u fortunately!The electri blue Johanni is ok if it's not a true Johanni. Maingano ( forget if its pseudotropheus or melanochromis ) are sold as electric blue Johanni and are calmer and smaller. Real Johanni are bigger n nasty. Links to each below.

Keep checking Craig's list for a tank jhawk!
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=756

Edit. Maybe they stay the same size but not attitude. Kenyi and auratus are bad too
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=760

Yes I think the electric blur johanni is my favorite cichlid great colors and get to a nice size

Returned the demasoni to Petco today, took me probably 20 minutes to fish him out of the tank lol. Such a pain. I had to move most of the rocks out to catch him. Glad he's gone

Turns out the 50% sale is next weekend not this weekend, but since I was up there I went ahead and bought 4 new cichlids. Will post pics ASAP.

X1 red zebra
X1 Snow White socolofi
X1 yellow peacock
X1 mixed peacock (needs id, he is absolutely gorgeous!)

I think it's and orange blotched peacock. They're a hybrid but I think they're cool.

Back
Top Bottom